Today we are making changes to the login system on Gamepedia to give you the option to merge your Gamepedia and Twitch accounts.
If you decide to merge your accounts, you’ll be able to log in to Gamepedia with your Twitch username and password, but all users will now be redirected to the main Gamepedia.com page to log on regardless of if you choose to merge your accounts or not. Learn more about the changes here.
Jarvan IV - The Exemplar of Demacia
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
|Real Name:||Jarvan Lightshield IV|
|HP Regen:||7.0 (+0.7)|
|Mana Regen:||6.0 (+0.45)|
|Attack Damage:||50 (+3.4)|
|Attack Speed:||0.658 (+2.5%)|
|Magic Resist:||30 (+1.25)|
Jarvan IV, The Exemplar of Demacia is a melee champion, most commonly played as a jungler. He has very good ganking potential due to his Demacian Standard/Dragon Strike combo, which is a combined gapclose and knockup. Additionally, his Golden Aegis gives him a slow and a shield. His ultimate Cataclysm can be used to lock down key enemy targets. It has to be used carefully though, because it can also lock teammates in disadvantageous positions.
|Lore:||As the royal family of Demacia for centuries, members of the Lightshield line have spent their lives waging war against any who opposed Demacian ethics. It is said that every Lightshield is born with anti-Noxian sentiment in his blood, and Jarvan IV is no exception.
As his forefathers had before him, he led Demacian troops into bloody engagements with Noxian forces, and on many occasions he has bled alongside wounded allies and fallen comrades. His most crushing defeat came at the hands of Jericho Swain, where he was outmaneuvered and captured by a Noxian battalion. This mistake nearly cost him his life at the hands of Urgot, but he was rescued by the Dauntless Vanguard, an elite Demacian strike force led by Jarvan's childhood companion, Garen. Those close to him believed that his capture changed him. Xin Zhao was quoted as saying: His eyes never seemed to look at you, only through you to something he could not look away from. One day, without warning, Jarvan IV hand-picked a squad of Demacian soldiers and left Demacia, vowing to find atonement. He began by tracking and hunting the most dangerous beasts and bandits he could find in northern Valoran, but he soon tired of such prey. Seeking something that only he understood, he ventured south of the Great Barrier. He wasn't heard from again for nearly two years. After many had assumed the worst, he returned to glorious fanfare on the streets of Demacia. His Demacian plates were adorned with the bones and scales of creatures unknown. His eyes bore the wisdom of someone twice his age. Of the twelve soldiers who had departed with him, only two returned. In a tone as cold and steady as steel, he swore to bring the enemies of Demacia to their knees.
| "There is only one truth, and you will find it at the point of my lance."
- the "last words" of Jarvan IV at his failed execution
|In Premier Tournaments|
|Event||Bans||Picks||Wins||Losses||Win %||Picked/Banned in % of Games|
|IEM Season IX World Championship||3||9||3||6||33.3||63.2|
|IEM Season IX - Cologne||10||4||1||3||25||100|
|2014 World Championship||1||17||6||11||35.3||23.1|
|2014 Season China Regional Finals||0||2||1||1||50||13.3|
|2014 International Wild Card Tournament||3||2||0||2||0||41.7|
E attack speed up.
Jarvan's having trouble finishing his first jungle clears with enough health to hit the ground running. This is rough for a champion built for early ganking: Jarvan’s E+Q “flag-n-drag” combo is a powerful initiation tool, but drops him squarely in range of enemy retaliation. We’re speeding up Jarvan’s clear time so he can exit the jungle with more reasonable amounts of health - after all, dead monsters don’t hit back. This gives Jarvan better opportunities to gank for his team without having to catch his breath first.
- PASSIVE ATTACK SPEED:
- ACTIVE ATTACK SPEED AURA:
- Removed a random pipe that appeared in Commando Jarvan IV’s knee during his walk animation
Increased W teamfight value.
For somebody who wants to lock as many opponents as possible into a caged deathmatch, Jarvan lacks the tankiness to survive in the fray he creates. We’re heightening Golden Aegis’ deep-behind-enemy-lines power to make sure that when Jarvan’s helping, he’s actually helping.
- BASE SHIELD:
- BONUS SHIELD PER ENEMY CHAMPION:
W cooldown decreased. R costs less and deals area-of-effect damage.
At the height of his power, Jarvan excelled at everything. He could snowball games early, and yet scale hard into the late game. He brought burst damage, initiation, peel, tankiness… you get the point. We’re in no hurry to return players to the terror of his glory days, but right now Jarvan players don’t really feel good about doing, well, anything. We’re sharpening Jarvan’s identity as a top-notch teamfighter by giving him the tools to perform better when more enemies are around. Jarvan won’t feel much different in 1-on-1 situations, but he’ll feel more impactful when he wades into the thick of things, fighting harder for Demacia the more enemies - or allies - are around.
Patch Notes 5.18
Base armor up very slightly. "Oh, Jarvan. Prince of the Jungle, King of Dunkshire, fourth of his name; once proud to call the early-game his stomping ground, our last round of nerfs removed the armor aura on Demacian Standard, and J4’s jungle presence disappeared with it. We sent him off with a little more base armor for his troubles, but it’s clear that it wasn’t enough to keep up with the Rek’Sai’s, Gragases and other top-tiers crowding out his spot. That said, we’re not looking to dust of his throne exactly; J4’s deadly combination of early gank pressure and late-game initiation have made him a general power-pick whenever he’s deemed viable, often centralizing play around who is or isn’t good enough to compete with the Prince. Keeping that in mind, we saw an opportunity with the buffs to Warrior Enchant for a slight nudge to keep Jarvan from getting too down on himself. We’ll spare you the months of spreadsheets that went into the exact calculations, but in the end we settled on 2 armor."
- BASE ARMOR:
- BASE ARMOR:
Patch Notes 5.12
E's cooldown lowered. "Though still fresh in the minds of players as a dominant pick in professional play, Jarmander's been in a bit of a slump. While not in the worst shape, the last changes we made to him took him from being an ‘all-around good pick', providing tons of agnostic utility to any team composition, to being focused into more of a diver - one that's at home flagging-and-dragging his way into the backline and dunking on priority targets. While an even lower cooldown may have let him dive even better by having two flags up at once, giving him enough power to be another generalist pick would've been a Double Standard."
13 seconds at all ranks⇒ 13/12.5/12/11.5/11 seconds
- STANDARD DEVIATION:: Demacian Standard no longer confuses the pathing of jungle monsters
Patch Notes 5.4
Jarvan's flag no longer gives him passive armor. His base armor has been slightly increased to compensate, but this is definitely a nerf to Jarvan's mid-late game survivability. "With the dust settled around the preseason changes, Jarvan's proven himself to be true royalty, standing head and shoulders above the competition on his jungle throne (to be fair, Fiddlesticks doesn't like to sit down owing to bad knees). Unlike his other Warrior-enchant-toting brethren, J4's incredible gank pressure, clear speed and safety make him a threat throughout the game with no real weaknesses for opponents to exploit. Instead of hitting J4's damage, chipping away at his resiliency should punish him for failed ganks without taking too much dunk out of his princely ways."
- BASE ARMOR:
- BASE ARMOR:
- Q - Dragon Strike
- ALL IN THE WRIST: Fixed a bug where enemies would occasionally get knocked up when they walked into Jarvan IV after his dash completed
- E - Demacian Standard
- "REMOVED" WHY WOULD A FLAG GIVE ARMOR: Demacian Standard no longer grants passive armor to Jarvan IV
Patch Notes 4.21
IF HE'S MAKING A CRATER SOMEONE'S GONNA GET HURT.
Patch Notes 4.7
Martial Cadence now deals more damage, but the cooldown starts out higher and scales down over time. Golden Aegis costs less mana and is a flat cost across all ranks.
Patch Notes 4.5 "Cataclysm should now be more reliable for Jarvan IV to land."
Patch Notes 3.13
Context: This change forces Jarvan to be more accurate with his Demacian Standard / Dragon Strike combo while giving opponents some breathing room when trying to dodge it.
- Dragon Strike / Demacian Standard
- Jarvan's knockup collision radius reduced to 180 from 260
- Demacian Standard
- Vision radius of the Standard reduced to 700 from 850
Patch Notes 3.04
Jarvan has been bringing too much utility to his team, so we've removed the armor component of Demacian Standard's aura.
- Golden Aegis
- Shield amount per nearby enemy champion increased to 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 from 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40
- Mana cost reduced to 45 / 50 / 55 / 60 / 65 from 65
- Demacian Standard
- Active no longer grants bonus Armor
- Martial Cadence
- Fixed a bug where Martial Cadence was dealing more damage than intended to minions and monsters
- Base Movement Speed increased by 25.
- Demacian Standard
- When targeting a location outside of Demacian Standard's range, Demacian Standard will now be cast at its maximum range in the direction of the targeted location
- Updated tooltips
- Fixed a bug with Commando and Dragon Slayer skins that caused the game to hitch when first using Demacian Standard
- Fixed a bug where Cataclysm immediately crumbled when Jarvan IV died
- Mana per level increased to 40 from 30
- Golden Aegis mana cost reduced to 65 from 75
- Demacian Standard mana cost reduced to 55 from 60
- Martial Cadence (Passive)
- Damage changed to physical from magic
- Damage changed to 6 / 8 / 10% (at levels 1 / 7 / 13) of the target's current health from 8%
- No longer procs spell effects such as Rylai's or Spell Vamp
- Increased the hitbox size of Demacian Standard when targeted by Dragon Strike
- Added a targeting ring to Cataclysm
- Fixed a bug where Cataclysm was dealing less damage than intended at rank 2 and 3
- Fixed an issue where certain skins had inconsistent model sizes
- Jarvan will no longer follow the target while he is in the air during Cataclysm
- Will now create the ring of terrain regardless of whether the enemy can be targeted or not
- Will now be slightly more likely to push turrets that the ring lands on into the center rather than out
- Fixed a bug where it could be interrupted by movement displacing abilities such as Crystallize or Pillar of Filth
- Fixed a bug where Dragon Strike reduced the target's base armor rather than total armor
- Demacian Standard
- Cooldown reduced to 13 seconds from 12
- Damage reduced to 60 / 105 / 150 / 195 / 240 from 60 / 110 / 160 / 210 / 260
- Dragon Strike damage reduced to 70 / 115 / 160 / 205 / 250 from 70 / 120 / 170 / 220 / 270
- Demacian Standard
- Armor reduced to 10 / 13 / 16 / 19 / 22 from 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26
- Attack speed reduced to 10 / 13 / 16 / 19 / 22% form 10 / 14 / 18 / 22 / 26%
- Martial Cadence damage reduced to 8% from 10%
- Dragon Strike
- Cooldown increased to 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 seconds from 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5
- Mana cost increased to 45 / 50 / 55 / 60 / 65 from 40 / 45 / 50 / 55 / 60
- Golden Aegis shield strength reduced to 50 / 90 / 130 / 170 / 210 from 50 / 100 / 150 / 200 / 250
- Cataclysm damage reduced to 200 / 325 / 450 from 200 / 350 / 500
- Fixed a bug where Jarvan IV's banner caused a hitch the first time it was cast
- Golden Aegis' PVP.net description no longer states it triggers automatically