Maokai - The Twisted Treant
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
|HP Regen:||5 (+0.85)|
|Mana Regen:||6.45 (+0.45)|
|Attack Damage:||58 (+3.3)|
|Attack Speed:||0.694 (+2.13%)|
|Magic Resist:||30 (+0)|
Maokai, The Twisted Treant is a melee champion, most commonly played on the top lane, sometimes in the jungle. He depends on his incredible sustain and fighting late game, using Twisted Advance as his initiating crowd control and gapclose ability, followed by Arcane Smash, which slows and knocks back enemies.
|Lore:||Maokai is a rageful, towering treant who fights the unnatural horrors of the Shadow Isles. He was twisted into a force of vengeance after a magical cataclysm destroyed his home, surviving undeath only through the waters of life infused within his heartwood. Once a peaceful nature spirit, Maokai now furiously battles to banish the scourge of unlife from the Shadow Isles and restore his home to its former beauty.
Long before living memory, a chain of islands erupted from deep beneath the ocean tides as blank slates of rock and clay. With its creation, the nature spirit Maokai was born. He took the form of a treant, with his tall body covered in bark and long limbs resembling branches. Maokai felt the profound loneliness of the land and its potential for teeming growth. He wandered from island to island in search of signs of life, growing ever more forlorn in his solitude.
| “All around me are empty husks, soulless and unafraid... but I will bring them fear.”
- Maokai, the Twisted Treant
|In Premier Tournaments|
|Event||Bans||Picks||Wins||Losses||Win %||Picked/Banned in % of Games|
|2015 World Championship||0||3||0||3||0||4.1|
|IEM Season IX World Championship||8||9||5||4||55.6||89.5|
|IEM Season IX - Cologne||0||3||1||2||33.3||21.4|
|2014 World Championship||45||27||17||10||63||92.3|
|2014 Season China Regional Finals||14||1||1||0||100||100|
Q mana and cooldown down. Q knockback distance slightly increased. E damage reduced.
While Maokai’s update gave him the desired incentives to play around brush, empowered saplings are dealing too much damage in the early game (especially if maxed first). This is particularly prevalent at game-start: a single empowered sapling massively interferes with the enemy jungler’s initial clear. We’re reining in sapling damage so E spam doesn’t remain the strongest thing Maokai can do. With saplings powered down in the early game, we wanted to be sure Maokai still has the strength he needs to make it through the jungle and top lane. We’re upping the impact of his melee-range tools to give him the means to hold his own mid-combat.
- No longer procs against structures CAN’T SAP STONE:
- CAST TIME:
0.275 seconds⇒ 0.25 seconds (still scales down with Maokai’s attack speed)
45/50/55/60/65 mana⇒ 50 mana at all ranks
8/7.5/7/6.5/6 seconds⇒ 8/7.25/6.5/5.75/5 seconds
- KNOCKBACK DISTANCE: Slightly increased (maximum ~275 ⇒ ~300)
60 mana at all ranks⇒ 60/65/70/75/80 mana
- BASE DAMAGE:
- ENEMY HEALTH RATIO:
6/6.5/7/7.5/8% (+2% per 100 ability power) target’s max health⇒ 8% (+2% PER 100 ABILITY POWER) target’s max health
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug that caused Nature’s Grasp to fire without going on cooldown if Maokai died while casting it
While most tanks bring specific strengths to the table, Maokai does everything at once. So, when the Twisted Treant is at- or above-par with his classmates, he quickly becomes the go-to pick. At the same time, no specific strategy or team comp depends on Maokai’s particular set of skills to succeed. When he’s weaker than other tanks on average, he vanishes off the face of the earth. This update's about establishing strategies and situations where you really want Maokai, as well as ones where you really don't. We're shaving away generic strengths like Vengeful Maelstrom and its damage reduction aura, and replacing them with situationally-powerful tools like Nature's Grasp, which can lock down bunches of enemies at once but requires setup to succeed. With new potential to claim and control areas (plus a clarified hatred for spellcasters), choosing Maokai is now a much more intreeguing decision.
- TREEMOTIONAL: Maokai’s VO has been updated to match his lore. He’s a mad tree, not a sad tree.
- ICONS: Maokai’s ability icons have been updated
- ABILITY VISUALS: Maokai’s ability animations and visual effects have been updated
- HEALTH GROWTH STAT:
- HEALTH REGEN:
- Sap Magic no longer uses a stacking system SAP STACKING:
- 30/25/20 seconds (at levels 1/6/17) COOLDOWN:
- Each time Maokai casts a spell or is struck by an enemy’s spell, Sap Magic’s cooldown is reduced by 4 seconds (once per spellcast) RECKLESS MAGIC:
5/6/7% maximum health (at levels 1/7/13)⇒ 10/30/50/70/90/110/130 flat, plus 4.5/5.5/6.5/7.5/8.5/9.5/10.5/% maximum health (at levels 1/6/9/11/13/15/17)
- THRESHOLD: Sap Magic won’t trigger if Maokai is above 95% health
Arcane Smash⇒ Bramble Smash
- COST: 45/50/55/60/65 mana (unchanged)
- COOLDOWN: 8/7.5/7/6.5/6 seconds (unchanged)
- CAST TIME:
0.383 seconds⇒ 0.35 seconds
- DAMAGE: 70/115/160/205/250 (+0.4 ability power) (unchanged)
- KNOCKBACK: Enemies near Maokai are knocked back a flat distance ⇒ based on distance from Maokai (closer targets are knocked back slightly more)
- MOVEMENT SPEED SLOW:
20/27/34/41/48% for 1.5 seconds⇒ 99% for 0.25 seconds
75 mana at all ranks⇒ 60/65/70/75/80 mana
- COOLDOWN: 13/12/11/10/9 seconds (unchanged)
9/10/11/12/13% (+3% per 100 ability power) target’s maximum health⇒ 50/75/100/125/150 (+0.4 ability power) flat damage
- ROOT DURATION:
1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds⇒ 1/1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4 seconds
Saplings tossed into brush become empowered, lasting longer and dealing extra damage.
60/70/80/90/100 mana⇒ 60 mana at all ranks
12 seconds⇒ 11 seconds
- SAPLING DURATION:
40/45/50/55/60 seconds⇒ 30 seconds
80/120/160/200/240 (+0.6 ability power) flat damage⇒ 45/70/95/120/145 flat damage plus 6/6.5/7/7.5/8% (+2% per 100 ability power) target’s maximum health
50% for 1 second⇒ 35% for 2 seconds
- FAT SAPLINGS: Saplings tossed into brush last 30/40/50/60/70 seconds and have a larger detonation radius. Enemies caught in the explosion take 100% additional damage over 2 seconds.
- MINION/MONSTER CAP: Sapling Toss’s damage against non-champions is capped at 300 (empowered sapling damage over time has its own cap, for a total of 600 per empowered sapling)
Nature’s Grasp creates a massive wall of brambles that slowly advances forward. Each bramble damages and roots the first enemy champion hit.
- BRAMBLES: The wall is comprised of five brambles, each of which can affect one champion.
- COST: 100 mana
- COOLDOWN: 120/110/100 seconds
- RANGE: 2500
- DAMAGE: 150/225/300 (+0.75 ability power)
- ROOT: 0.6-2.4 seconds, scaling up over the first 1000 distance traveled
Q mana cost up. E impact damage removed.
Maokai has been the dominant super-tank in top lane, and not even the hefty Courage of the Colossus changes back in 7.2 felled this tree. Thanks to his seemingly-limitless waveclearing, the Twisted Treant has basically no losing lane matchup. We’re forcing Maokai to commit more resources if he wants to squash enemy minions, allowing opponents to win by attrition if they can sap him of his mana before a fight. Maokai will still be a mighty oak in the late game, but unless he branches into some early mana items, he won’t have the resources to farm and fight if he’s on the losing side.
Health regen down. Q cooldown up at early ranks.
Despite a brief absence, recent changes to Maokai see the Twisted Treant back on top of the teamfight-tank totem pole. Such is the struggle with Maokai - we’re cool with him being viable (as a fair example of what tanks should look like), but his combination of incredible teamfighting and powerful laning phase puts him ahead of the crowd consistently. We’re aiming to pull power from Maokai’s early game and crack open the window you have to bully him before he grows big and strong.
- HEALTH REGEN:
- HEALTH REGEN GROWTH:
6 seconds at all ranks⇒ 8/7.5/7/6.6/6 seconds
Base Magic Resist up, and Magic Resist scaling introduced. Sapling duration up.
Maokai’s seen a heavy drop in play since his dominance throughout 2015, surprisingly absent in an environment filled with his other tanky brethren. We’re going easy (as Maokai has a tendency to overcentralize the playing field when too strong), instead focusing on the key areas where he brings utility to his team. It’s also worth noting that Maokai is the last tank left in the game without scaling Magic Resist. It’s a dangerous proposition, but one that we’re embracing as we adopt a ‘wait-and-see’ approach in the event that this flings Maokai too far from the tree.
- BASE MANA:
- MANA GROWTH STAT:
R cooldown up.
The metagame may shift, flavors may come and go, but no matter what the landscape Maokai’s remained the go-to professional toplaner for over a season. Able to peel or dive the backlines flexibly, much of Maokai’s dominance is owed to the consistency of Vengeful Maelstrom. A fight turner in its own right, the sheer uptime of the ultimate means Maokai’s always ready to scrap, leaving little room for opponents to make a move. Upping the cooldown means he’ll still have a high uptime relative to other ultimates, but teams that skirmish and disengage rapidly have more opportunity to catch him with his shields down.
40/30/20 seconds⇒ 60/50/40 seconds
Maokai's passive heal down at early levels.
Maokai's enjoyed a lengthy reign as one of the top Tops in the competitive scene for a while, and for good reason - he's a healthy baseline for what we expect from our Tank class. Despite this, his level of sustain can make it an uphill battle to uproot this twisted treant, so we're chopping down his passive's early effectiveness to open some room for other picks to grow.
Patch Notes 5.1
Patch Update 1/21/2015
- WHOOPS: Fixed a bug where Maokai could become an untargetable wisp through magical tree magic
- VISUALS: Updated model and textures for base, Charred, Totemic and Festive skins. Haunted Maokai has received a texture update and Goalkeeper Maokai is unchanged.
- VISUALS: Updated VFX for base and all skins
- ICONS: New ability icons
- SPLASH: New base splash
Patch Notes 4.17
"Maokai's currently running rampant in top lane, partially due to his ability to trade damage with most of the scrappy dudes he finds up there. Given Maokai's R is already a strong defensive ability in a team fight, we realized it probably shouldn't also have so much damage tied to it."
Patch Notes 4.14
W's damage has been reduced and R has a max duration of 10 seconds per cast. "Maokai's a pretty cool dude and we're always happy to see a magical tree beating up dragons and yordles, but having a 100% uptime on Vengeful Maelstrom doesn't offer many windows of opportunity (otherwise known as counterplay!), and we may have overshot slightly on his base power."
- W - Twisted Advance
- BASE MAGIC DAMAGE:
9/10.5/12/13.5/15% max health⇒ 9/10/11/12/13% max health
- ABILITY POWER RATIO:
+4% max health damage per 100 AP⇒ +3% max health damage per 100 AP
- BASE MAGIC DAMAGE:
Patch Notes 4.11
Maokai is now a sentient purple people protector. Mana costs and damage on Maokai's abilities have gone down, but he's gained increased disruption with W on a lower cooldown and his Saplings slowing whoever they explode on. W's range has gone down so Maokai doesn't just become a nonstop ganking tree. Vengeful Maelstrom now centers on Maokai and travels with him. These changes are to give Maokai more of a 'core' identity as a defensive peeling support tank who can disrupt the baddies that jump on his squishy friends. Some of you might be asking: why so much change for the tree? Old Maokai might not be the strongest jungler on the scene but he's still very capable of shutting down entire lanes in the early to mid game while not contributing much to later teamfights. These updates let us balance around new Maokai kit without bringing back the Maokai pain train of Season 2 (such nonstop reliable tower dives, wow).
- Q - Arcane Smash
- SLOW DURATION:
2 seconds⇒ 1.5 seconds
55 mana⇒ 45 mana
- SLOW DURATION:
- W - Twisted Advance
- "REMOVED" CAST TIME: Maokai no longer has to 'wind up' before advancing to an enemy (travel time remains the same)
80/115/150/185/220 (+0.8 ABILITY POWER)⇒ 9/10.5/12/13.5/15% + (0.04 target's maximum ABILITY POWER)
75/80/85/90/95 mana⇒ 75 mana at all ranks
13 seconds at all ranks⇒ 13/12/11/10/9 seconds
- E - Sapling Toss
- "NEW" SPEEDY SAPLINGS: Sapling movement speed now scales with Maokai's bonus movement speed
- "NEW" ANNOYING SAPLINGS: Enemies damaged by a sapling explosion are now slowed by 50% for 1 second
- SAPLING BASE MOVEMENT SPEED:
- LANDING MAGIC DAMAGE:
40/75/110/145/180 (+0.4 ABILITY POWER)⇒ 40/60/80/100/120 (+0.4 ABILITY POWER)
- EXPLOSION MAGIC DAMAGE:
80/130/180/230/280 (+0.6 ABILITY POWER)⇒ 80/120/160/200/240 (+0.6 ABILITY POWER)
70/80/90/100/110 mana⇒ 60/70/80/90/100 mana
- R - Vengeful Maelstrom
- "NEW" UTILITY: Vengeful Maelstrom is now self-cast and circles Maokai instead of sitting in a targeted area
- "NEW" GOOD JOB MAOKAI: Vengeful Maelstrom now shows (through combat text) how much damage Maokai is mitigating for his teammates (this is only visible to Maokai)
- INITIAL COST:
75 mana⇒ 40 mana
Patch Notes 4.5
"This is a fix for a longstanding bug where Maokai's slow didn't accurately match his tooltip. We're giving him the benefit of the error."
- R - Vengeful Maelstrom
- Added a counter showing how much bonus damage Vengeful Maelstrom is storing
- Base Movement Speed increased by 25.
Patch Notes 188.8.131.52
September 18th - World Championship Hotfix
- Sapling Toss explosion particle can no longer be seen through fog of war
- Fixed - Maokai will no longer become untargetable or disappear after casting Twisted Advance
- Vengeful Maelstrom's allied ultimate HUD indicator will now turn grey as soon as it is cast
- Maokai's tooltips now properly display numbers in his passive as it updates
- Maokai will now attempt to attack after using Twisted Advance if the target is a champion
- Sap Magic can now be cast while silenced
- Base movespeed increased to 310 from 305
- Base health per level increased to 90 from 82
- Base armor per level increased to 4.0 from 3.5
- Fixed a bug where Vengeful Maelstrom was reducing true damage.
- Arcane Smash damage increased to 70 / 115 / 160 / 205 / 250 from 50 / 95 / 140 / 185 / 230
- Twisted Advance damage increased to 80 / 115 / 150 / 185 / 220 from 80 / 110 / 140 / 170 / 200
- Sapling Toss lifetime increased to 35 seconds from 24
- Vengeful Maelstrom
- Casting delay reduced by 50%
- Initial mana cost changed to 75 at all levels from 75 / 125 / 175
- Continual mana cost changed to 30 at all levels from 30 / 35 / 40 per second
- Twisted Advance levelup tooltip now correctly displays the increase in mana cost
- Fixed a bug where Maokai's death animation would not play if he is slain during Twisted Advance