Maokai - The Twisted Treant
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
|HP Regen:||7.25 (+0.85)|
|Mana Regen:||6.45 (+0.45)|
|Attack Damage:||58 (+3.3)|
|Attack Speed:||0.694 (+2.13%)|
|Magic Resist:||30 (+0)|
Maokai, The Twisted Treant is a melee champion, most commonly played on the top lane, sometimes in the jungle. He depends on his incredible sustain and fighting late game, using Twisted Advance as his initiating crowd control and gapclose ability, followed by Arcane Smash, which slows and knocks back enemies.
|Lore:||Maokai is a rageful, towering treant who fights the unnatural horrors of the Shadow Isles. He was twisted into a force of vengeance after a magical cataclysm destroyed his home, surviving undeath only through the waters of life infused within his heartwood. Once a peaceful nature spirit, Maokai now furiously battles to banish the scourge of unlife from the Shadow Isles and restore his home to its former beauty.
Long before living memory, a chain of islands erupted from deep beneath the ocean tides as blank slates of rock and clay. With its creation, the nature spirit Maokai was born. He took the form of a treant, with his tall body covered in bark and long limbs resembling branches. Maokai felt the profound loneliness of the land and its potential for teeming growth. He wandered from island to island in search of signs of life, growing ever more forlorn in his solitude.
| “All around me are empty husks, soulless and unafraid... but I will bring them fear.”
- Maokai, the Twisted Treant
|In Premier Tournaments|
|Event||Bans||Picks||Wins||Losses||Win %||Picked/Banned in % of Games|
|2015 World Championship||0||3||0||3||0||4.1|
|IEM Season IX World Championship||8||9||5||4||55.6||89.5|
|IEM Season IX - Cologne||0||3||1||2||33.3||21.4|
|2014 World Championship||45||27||17||10||63||92.3|
|2014 Season China Regional Finals||14||1||1||0||100||100|
Q mana cost up. E impact damage removed.
Maokai has been the dominant super-tank in top lane, and not even the hefty Courage of the Colossus changes back in 7.2 felled this tree. Thanks to his seemingly-limitless waveclearing, the Twisted Treant has basically no losing lane matchup. We’re forcing Maokai to commit more resources if he wants to squash enemy minions, allowing opponents to win by attrition if they can sap him of his mana before a fight. Maokai will still be a mighty oak in the late game, but unless he branches into some early mana items, he won’t have the resources to farm and fight if he’s on the losing side.
Health regen down. Q cooldown up at early ranks.
Despite a brief absence, recent changes to Maokai see the Twisted Treant back on top of the teamfight-tank totem pole. Such is the struggle with Maokai - we’re cool with him being viable (as a fair example of what tanks should look like), but his combination of incredible teamfighting and powerful laning phase puts him ahead of the crowd consistently. We’re aiming to pull power from Maokai’s early game and crack open the window you have to bully him before he grows big and strong.
- HEALTH REGEN:
- HEALTH REGEN GROWTH:
6 seconds at all ranks⇒ 8/7.5/7/6.6/6 seconds
Base Magic Resist up, and Magic Resist scaling introduced. Sapling duration up.
Maokai’s seen a heavy drop in play since his dominance throughout 2015, surprisingly absent in an environment filled with his other tanky brethren. We’re going easy (as Maokai has a tendency to overcentralize the playing field when too strong), instead focusing on the key areas where he brings utility to his team. It’s also worth noting that Maokai is the last tank left in the game without scaling Magic Resist. It’s a dangerous proposition, but one that we’re embracing as we adopt a ‘wait-and-see’ approach in the event that this flings Maokai too far from the tree.
- BASE MANA:
- MANA GROWTH STAT:
R cooldown up.
The metagame may shift, flavors may come and go, but no matter what the landscape Maokai’s remained the go-to professional toplaner for over a season. Able to peel or dive the backlines flexibly, much of Maokai’s dominance is owed to the consistency of Vengeful Maelstrom. A fight turner in its own right, the sheer uptime of the ultimate means Maokai’s always ready to scrap, leaving little room for opponents to make a move. Upping the cooldown means he’ll still have a high uptime relative to other ultimates, but teams that skirmish and disengage rapidly have more opportunity to catch him with his shields down.
40/30/20 seconds⇒ 60/50/40 seconds
Maokai's passive heal down at early levels.
Maokai's enjoyed a lengthy reign as one of the top Tops in the competitive scene for a while, and for good reason - he's a healthy baseline for what we expect from our Tank class. Despite this, his level of sustain can make it an uphill battle to uproot this twisted treant, so we're chopping down his passive's early effectiveness to open some room for other picks to grow.
Patch Notes 5.1
Patch Update 1/21/2015
- WHOOPS: Fixed a bug where Maokai could become an untargetable wisp through magical tree magic
- VISUALS: Updated model and textures for base, Charred, Totemic and Festive skins. Haunted Maokai has received a texture update and Goalkeeper Maokai is unchanged.
- VISUALS: Updated VFX for base and all skins
- ICONS: New ability icons
- SPLASH: New base splash
Patch Notes 4.17
"Maokai's currently running rampant in top lane, partially due to his ability to trade damage with most of the scrappy dudes he finds up there. Given Maokai's R is already a strong defensive ability in a team fight, we realized it probably shouldn't also have so much damage tied to it."
Patch Notes 4.14
W's damage has been reduced and R has a max duration of 10 seconds per cast. "Maokai's a pretty cool dude and we're always happy to see a magical tree beating up dragons and yordles, but having a 100% uptime on Vengeful Maelstrom doesn't offer many windows of opportunity (otherwise known as counterplay!), and we may have overshot slightly on his base power."
- W - Twisted Advance
- BASE MAGIC DAMAGE:
9/10.5/12/13.5/15% max health⇒ 9/10/11/12/13% max health
- ABILITY POWER RATIO:
+4% max health damage per 100 AP⇒ +3% max health damage per 100 AP
- BASE MAGIC DAMAGE:
Patch Notes 4.11
Maokai is now a sentient purple people protector. Mana costs and damage on Maokai's abilities have gone down, but he's gained increased disruption with W on a lower cooldown and his Saplings slowing whoever they explode on. W's range has gone down so Maokai doesn't just become a nonstop ganking tree. Vengeful Maelstrom now centers on Maokai and travels with him. These changes are to give Maokai more of a 'core' identity as a defensive peeling support tank who can disrupt the baddies that jump on his squishy friends. Some of you might be asking: why so much change for the tree? Old Maokai might not be the strongest jungler on the scene but he's still very capable of shutting down entire lanes in the early to mid game while not contributing much to later teamfights. These updates let us balance around new Maokai kit without bringing back the Maokai pain train of Season 2 (such nonstop reliable tower dives, wow).
- Q - Arcane Smash
- SLOW DURATION:
2 seconds⇒ 1.5 seconds
55 mana⇒ 45 mana
- SLOW DURATION:
- W - Twisted Advance
- "REMOVED" CAST TIME: Maokai no longer has to 'wind up' before advancing to an enemy (travel time remains the same)
80/115/150/185/220 (+0.8 Ability Power)⇒ 9/10.5/12/13.5/15% + (0.04 target's maximum Ability Power)
75/80/85/90/95 mana⇒ 75 mana at all ranks
13 seconds at all ranks⇒ 13/12/11/10/9 seconds
- E - Sapling Toss
- "NEW" SPEEDY SAPLINGS: Sapling movement speed now scales with Maokai's bonus movement speed
- "NEW" ANNOYING SAPLINGS: Enemies damaged by a sapling explosion are now slowed by 50% for 1 second
- SAPLING BASE MOVEMENT SPEED:
- LANDING MAGIC DAMAGE:
40/75/110/145/180 (+0.4 Ability Power)⇒ 40/60/80/100/120 (+0.4 Ability Power)
- EXPLOSION MAGIC DAMAGE:
80/130/180/230/280 (+0.6 Ability Power)⇒ 80/120/160/200/240 (+0.6 Ability Power)
70/80/90/100/110 mana⇒ 60/70/80/90/100 mana
- R - Vengeful Maelstrom
- "NEW" UTILITY: Vengeful Maelstrom is now self-cast and circles Maokai instead of sitting in a targeted area
- "NEW" GOOD JOB MAOKAI: Vengeful Maelstrom now shows (through combat text) how much damage Maokai is mitigating for his teammates (this is only visible to Maokai)
- INITIAL COST:
75 mana⇒ 40 mana
Patch Notes 4.5
"This is a fix for a longstanding bug where Maokai's slow didn't accurately match his tooltip. We're giving him the benefit of the error."
- R - Vengeful Maelstrom
- Added a counter showing how much bonus damage Vengeful Maelstrom is storing
- Base Movement Speed increased by 25.
Patch Notes 184.108.40.206
September 18th - World Championship Hotfix
- Sapling Toss explosion particle can no longer be seen through fog of war
- Fixed - Maokai will no longer become untargetable or disappear after casting Twisted Advance
- Vengeful Maelstrom's allied ultimate HUD indicator will now turn grey as soon as it is cast
- Maokai's tooltips now properly display numbers in his passive as it updates
- Maokai will now attempt to attack after using Twisted Advance if the target is a champion
- Sap Magic can now be cast while silenced
- Base movespeed increased to 310 from 305
- Base health per level increased to 90 from 82
- Base armor per level increased to 4.0 from 3.5
- Fixed a bug where Vengeful Maelstrom was reducing true damage.
- Arcane Smash damage increased to 70 / 115 / 160 / 205 / 250 from 50 / 95 / 140 / 185 / 230
- Twisted Advance damage increased to 80 / 115 / 150 / 185 / 220 from 80 / 110 / 140 / 170 / 200
- Sapling Toss lifetime increased to 35 seconds from 24
- Vengeful Maelstrom
- Casting delay reduced by 50%
- Initial mana cost changed to 75 at all levels from 75 / 125 / 175
- Continual mana cost changed to 30 at all levels from 30 / 35 / 40 per second
- Twisted Advance levelup tooltip now correctly displays the increase in mana cost
- Fixed a bug where Maokai's death animation would not play if he is slain during Twisted Advance