League of Legends Portal
Patch Notes v7.1
Welcome to 7.1, the one where we play a little bit of catch-up. With the long break behind us and a month’s worth of data to sift through, we're hard at work building out a multi-patch plan of action to tackle some of League’s largest offenders.
With ‘multi-patch’ being the operative word, let's focus on what's happening in this one. With so many high-powered threats running amok in the wake of pre-season’s yearly shake-up, 7.1’s a little more nerf-heavy than your average balance patch. These range from some of our more-recent outliers (Camille and the newfound strength of the jungle) to some older faces perhaps-wielding-a-mythical-hammer-you-know-who-you-are. Once these broader fires are put out with this first salvo, we’ll get more focused.
It's not all doom and gloom, however! Though marksmen (and botlaners of all stripes) are feeling a lack of the ‘oomph’ they've been accustomed to, we come bearing gifts for those lowest on the sharp-shooting totem pole. We'll continue to evaluate the class’s agency in the grand scheme of things in the patches to come, but making Lucian not an active detriment to your team’s success is probably a good start.
Toss in some tinkering for the League Client Update and some sweet Warring Kingdom skins and that about does it for us. Stay tuned for future updates (and future firefighting) as we continue to rein it all in, and we'll see you on the Rift, lobbing hexplosives in your bottom lanes.
Patrick "Scarizard" Scarborough
Paul "Aether" Perscheid
Mattias "Gentleman Gustaf" Lehman
Lucas "Luqizilla" Moutinho
Health per level down. Passive shield duration down. R stun duration decreased.
Let's face it - Camille is pretty darn strong. As a diver, she needs the mobility to isolate a priority target and the dueling potential to kill them when she does. We think she’s hitting that mark pretty well. However, every champion needs room to fail, and for divers, that means being killable when they dive the backline, and lower on teamfight utility when they play it safer.
Camille needs to give opposing teams a chance to cut her legs out from under her before she cuts them up. With her legs. At the moment, she’s too durable for that to be a reliable response, so we’re dialing that back a bit. Camille’s teamfight utility is providing her too safe of a fallback, meaning she doesn’t need to do that much diving for a diver. With a little less utility, we hope to require Camille to play a bit more aggressively, opening her up to focused fire (which should be easier against the new, less tanky Camille).
- Base Stats
- HEALTH GROWTH STAT:
95 ⇒ 85
- Passive - Adaptive Defenses
- SHIELD DURATION:
1.5/2.0/2.5 seconds ⇒ 1.5 seconds
- E - Hookshot
- NOT A NINJA: Slightly increased radius where Camille will reveal herself if Hookshotting near enemies while she is in FoW
- R - The Hextech Ultimatum
- KNOCKAWAY SPEED:
600 ⇒ 1000
- GET UP: Knockaway stun now only lasts until the target lands, rather than a 1-second fixed duration
Mantra’d W damage only ticks twice. Mantra’d E shield lowered.
For almost a year, Karma’s enjoyed a slow build-up into becoming the go-to generalist support among League’s top players. This stems from a change made all the way back in 6.6, where we aimed to give her scaling a little more ‘oomph’ so Karma could feel appropriately rewarded for a strong performance. We’re happy with her scaling, but amping up Karma’s base shield in the very same patch led to a massive performance bump that few of her peers could step to. In light of her dominant laning strengths, we’re reverting Karma’s base shield to its previous effectiveness while keeping her growth throughout the game intact.
Quickly addressing the change to Focused Resolve, Karma’s tether actually ticked for damage more often than similar spells. This meant that your natural counterplay (running away) was less effective than it should have been, since Karma would usually get most of the damage before breaking anyways. It’s important to note that while the overall damage of Focused Resolve is staying the same, losing one tick does interfere with her passive’s interaction with Mantra’s cooldown. We still think it’s an appropriate power-down for the Enlightened One paired with the hit to her shield, but we’ll be watching to make sure she doesn’t drop too far as a result.
- W - Focused Resolve
- DAMAGE TICKS:
Three at 0, 1, and 2 seconds ⇒ Two at 0 and 2 seconds (total damage unchanged)
CONSISTENCY Also applies to Mantra W - Renewal
- Mantra E - Defiance
- BONUS SHIELD:
30/100/170/240 ⇒ 30/90/150/210
Elementalist Lux VFX
We've heard feedback around the clarity of Elementalist Lux's visuals, and have a few changes to address those concerns.
- E - Lucent Singularity’s missile has been adjusted to better distinguish it from Elementalist Lux’s other effects. It’s now primarily swirling ribbons of light.
- Adjusted W - Prismatic Barrier’s shield visuals on several forms to maintain similar levels of brightness and noise
- Warning indicator on R - Final Spark adjusted to be immediately visible on-cast, rather than brightening over the duration
Portal cooldown and duration reduced. Voidspawn health scaling down and decay rate up. Voidspawn structure damage up.
Zz’Rot Portal should be the go-to defensive item for tanks who want to opt into a pushing strategy. However, we also want ZZ’Rot to be an engaging item that informs a tank’s playstyle, not something they fire and forget. The high travel range of Voidspawn gives Zz’Rot too much pressure even when its owner isn’t around to curate or replace it. We’re sharpening Zz’Rot’s power as the go-to tower-sieging item for aggressive pushers, while toning down its ability to control a lane from afar.
- VOID GATE DURATION:
150 seconds ⇒ 120 seconds
150 seconds ⇒ 120 seconds
- VOIDSPAWN STRUCTURE DAMAGE:
5 per level (max 90) ⇒ 20 per level (max 360)
- REMOVED VOIDSPAWN HEALTH SCALING: Voidspawn no longer gain 50 health per level
- VOIDSPAWN HEALTH DECAY:
10% current health every 0.25 seconds ⇒ 20% current health every 0.25 seconds
- CREEPY, NOT CREEPS: Killing a voidspawn no longer increases your creep score
New mechanics come with some growing pains, so we’re still clearing up a few odd interactions with plants. Right now we see some room to add clarity and consistency by introducing a few quality of life changes that make the effects of plants easier to predict and read.
- FLOWING IN THE BREEZE: Once scouted, plants continue emitting idle VFX through fog of war
- VEGETARIAN: Attacking plants no longer puts Kha'Zix in combat, preventing Evolved R - Void Assault's out-of-combat invisibility from activating upon entering brush
- WHO PINGED THAT?: Auto-pings on revealed champions have been toned down to be distinguishable from player-issued pings
- NEW WARD PING: Revealed wards now trigger a small auto-ping
- FRUIT NEEDS PICKING: Pickup radius of fruits slightly reduced
- HELPING: Malzahar and Rengar can now be affected by allied Blast Cone triggers during their spell immunity effects
First clear experience reduced. Some overall clear experience funneled into Raptors.
With camps spawning less frequently but granting higher rewards, pre-season buffed early jungling four-fold. Junglers leave clears with more health, experience, and gold - and a longer stretch of time to flex those advantages before camps respawn. We made these changes to reduce the tradeoffs of ganking, with the flip side being a reduction in late clear payouts. Junglers have to make an impact on the game with their early power, else that power dissipates over time. That said, many junglers end up so far ahead of laners for so long that they’re dictating the early game.
In order to curb this dominance, we reduced Smite’s sustain partway through 6.24 and are following up by reducing first-clear experience. First buff + two small camps will still net junglers level 3, but it’ll take six camps to hit level 4, rather than five. With sustain and experience toned down, jungler gold pools may naturally fall in line as well. We’ll continue monitoring as the first few patches of the year progress.
(Side-note: while Crimson Raptor grants less experience than a little Raptor on paper, it’s a large monster so jungle items add another 50. Math!)
Monster experience rewards
- FIRST CLEAR: Murkwolf, Raptor, Krug, and Gromp camps grant 25% less experience on first clear (stacks additively with Ancient Krug’s 50% reduced experience on first clear)
- BLUE SENTINEL:
210 ⇒ 200
- RED BRAMBLEBACK:
210 ⇒ 200
210 ⇒ 200
45 ⇒ 35
- LESSER KRUGS:
15 ⇒ 7
- CRIMSON RAPTOR:
15 ⇒ 20
15 ⇒ 35
League Client Update
We’re continuing work on performance and bugs while rebuilding legacy client features. More details below! Champion select animations have been given a big performance boost, and we gave a huge buff to Low-spec mode. We strongly recommend trying out Low-spec mode if you’re still having performance issues.
For questions about the ongoing client update open beta, check out open beta FAQ.
If you’re having technical issues preventing you from enjoying the game experience, know that you still have access to your legacy client. Just click “Launch legacy client” before logging in. You can also find solutions to most common issues in the Known Issues section of our support site.
Below are the major features added to the League client update this patch.
- NEW BOTS IN CUSTOM: Players are now able to add bots to custom games in the updated client
- NEW MOAR SETTINGS: We’ve added more settings to the client under Sound, Interface and Game
- NEW ASCENSION: We’re continuing to add more rotating game modes with this patch. The Ascension rotating game mode is now supported in the updated client.
- NEW MOBILE SORTING: "Group Mobile" has been added as a toggle option on the social panel. While the toggle is active, Mobile friends will be sorted into their own folder until they log in, at which point they'll move back into their original folder.
- UPDATED OFFLINE SORTING:
- NEW BATTLE BOOSTS: Players can now purchase Battle Boosts in ARAM in the updated client
- NEW TOASTER DETECTION: Players on low-spec machines will see a dialog asking them if they’d like to enable low-spec mode
For those of you who haven’t yet opted into the open beta, we’re releasing another chunk of files (~500 MB) later with this patch. This download (and similar downloads with our normal patches going forward) will split the updated client into smaller chunks, reducing the final download size when it’s time to deprecate the legacy client. If you’ve opted into open beta, you’ve already downloaded these files, so you’ll be pretty much unaffected.
- We believe we fixed an issue that sometimes prevented players from editing their masteries in champ select. We’ll continue to keep a close eye on this issue.
- Fixed an issue with the champ select grid not loading upon entering champion select
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused flickering during champ select
- Champ select animations have been given a big performance pass, with many more things being affected by activation of Low-spec mode. SERIOUSLY, TRY LOW-SPEC MODE IF YOU'RE HAVING PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS.
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused a crash if a player failed to pick a champ during champ select
- Fixed an issue that prevented players from reconnecting to their game after getting disconnected while transitioning from champ select
- Sounds in the client and in-game now respect your audio settings levels
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented players from accepting a ready check timer and causing the ACCEPT button to appear grayed out
- We believe we fixed an issue that was preventing players from getting a ready check when friends in their party get it
- Fixed an issue that caused the PLAY button to be grayed out after finishing the tutorial
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the summoner icon of a player to appear incorrectly in the game lobby
- Fixed an issue that was causing the friends list to jitter when drag and dropping friends between folders
- Fixed an issue that caused mastery pages created in the legacy client to appear incorrectly in the updated client
- Fixed an issue that prevented players from seeing a queue dodge notification when someone dodges from champ select for the second time
- You will no longer get gifting notifications for gifts you’ve already received
- Fixed an issue that prevented players from viewing champion skins on champion detail pages
- Made some changes to improve legibility of the IP/RP text on the homescreen
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented players from spectating a friend’s game
Queue Health Update
- Fixed several cases where abilities that create objects (ex. Jarvan’s E - Demacian Standard) caused their casters to no longer be considered Isolated for the purposes of Kha'Zix's Passive - Unseen Threat
- Fixed a bug causing LeBlanc's W - Distortion cooldown to reset if she cast it, allowed it to go on cooldown without re-casting it, then copied it with R - Mimic
- Shaco's W - Jack in the Boxes now re-stealth after being revealed once the revealing effect (ex. Sweeping Lens) expires
- Fixed a bug causing Bard's Q - Cosmic Binding stun to last slightly longer than intended
- The nearby enemy knockback effect of Fizz's R - Chum the Waters no longer knocks back spell shielded targets while still consuming the spell shield
- Fixed a bug where, briefly after hitting a target with Darius’s E - Apprehend, Darius automatically tried to attack the target, overriding any commands issued after Apprehend was cast
- Hecarim's E - Devastating Charge can no longer critically strike structures
- Fixed a bug causing enemies revealed by Frost Queen's Claim ghosts to also reveal stealthed enemy units they walked over
- Fixed a bug causing Duskblade of Draktharr's ward detection radius VFX pulses to queue up while dead, then play all at once upon respawning
- Karma's base Mantra W - Renewal tether visuals are no longer a funky color
- Surprise Party Fiddlesticks's E - Dark Wind on-hit particles now properly appear when Dark Wind kills a unit
- Program Camille's R - The Hextech Ultimatum border no longer disappears under elevated terrain
- The green triangle patterning on the ground during Program Camille's R - The Hextech Ultimatum no longer fails to appear if the camera moved away during the cast time
- Mecha Malphite's chromas now properly put spikes on his fists for the duration of W - Brutal Strikes
- Added missing effects for PROJECT: Ekko's W - Parallel Convergence bonus damage versus low-health champions
- River Spirit Nami's right tail fin no longer disappears in several of her animations
- Koi Nami's chromas now properly use her skin-specific water particles during her walk animation
- Super Galaxy Shyvana's Dragon Form E - Flame Breath explosion no longer permanently leaves behind subtle flame effects on the map
- Fixed a few cases where the snowflake ground decoration on Snow Day Bard's Q - Cosmic Binding stun appeared in weird places on certain champions
- Fixed an issue where the tails of Fire form Elementalist Lux's dress disappeared during some animations
- Star Guardian Lux's wand no longer gets briefly stuck at the max range of W - Prismatic Barrier
- Fixed a bug causing certain buff visuals (ex. Banshee's Veil) to bounce upward during Mecha Zero Sion's R - Unstoppable Onslaught animation
- Realigned Mecha Zero Sion's jet thruster particles with his model during his homeguard animation
- Shockblade Zed's shadow no longer loses its smoky visuals during Zed's dance animation
- The flower Ivern creates during his taunt animation (candy for his Candy King skin) no longer vanishes if the camera moves away and back again
- The face of the poro in Santa Braum's joke animation no longer mutates during the animation
Upcoming Skins & Chromas
The following skins will be released during patch 7.1:
The following chromas will be released during patch 7.1:
Snowdown Crafting Material Expiration
As a reminder, Snowdown Crafting materials (Snowdown Sweets and Poro King's Treasure Chest Fragments) will disappear on January 16th at 23:59 PT. Winter Chests, Snowdown Chests, Legacy Chests, and Poro King's Treasure Chests will remain usable but will no longer drop expired materials after that date. Make sure to finish your crafting before then!