Riven - The Exile
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
|HP Regen:||5.34 (+0.5)|
|Attack Damage:||56.04 (+3)|
|Attack Speed:||0.625 (+3.5%)|
|Magic Resist:||32.1 (+1.25)|
Riven, The Exile is a melee attack-damage Bruiser most commonly played in the toplane. She does not rely on Mana or Energy as a resource and instead only relies on her cooldowns. All of her abilities scale off attack damage. She's a pretty mobile champion due to two different types of dashes in her kit. She also has decent crowd-control with a stun and a knockback.
|Lore:||In Noxus, any citizen may rise to power regardless of race, gender, or social standing - strength is all that matters. It was with committed faith in this ideal that Riven strove to greatness. She showed early potential as a soldier, forcing herself to master the weight of a long sword when she was barely its height. She was ruthless and efficient as a warrior, but her true strength lay in her conviction. She entered battles without any trace of doubt in her mind: no ethical pause, no fear of death.
Riven became a leader amongst her peers; a poster child of the Noxian spirit. So exceptional was her passion that the High Command recognized her with a black stone rune sword forged and enchanted with Noxian sorcery. The weapon was heavier than a kite shield and nearly as broad - perfectly suited to her tastes. Soon after, she was deployed to Ionia as part of the Noxian invasion.
What began as war quickly became extermination. Noxian soldiers followed the terrifying Zaunite war machines across fields of death. It wasn't the glorious combat for which Riven trained. She carried out the orders of her superiors, terminating the remnants of a beaten and fractured enemy with extreme prejudice.
As the invasion continued, it became clear that the Ionian society would not be reformed, merely eliminated. During one bitter engagement, Riven's unit became surrounded by Ionian forces. They called for support as the enemy closed in around them. What they received instead was a barrage of biochemical terror launched by Singed. Riven watched as around her Ionian and Noxian alike fell victim to an unspeakably gruesome fate. She managed to escape the bombardment, though she could not erase the memory.
Counted dead by Noxus, she saw an opportunity to start anew. She shattered her sword, severing ties with the past, and wandered in self-imposed exile - on a quest to seek atonement and a way to save the pure Noxian vision in which she believed.
| "There is a place between war and murder in which our demons lurk."
- Riven, the Exile
|In Premier Tournaments|
|Event||Bans||Picks||Wins||Losses||Win %||Picked/Banned in % of Games|
|2014 World Championship||0||1||1||0||100||1.3|
|2014 Season China Regional Finals||0||2||0||2||0||13.3|
|2014 LNL Summer||1||2||1||1||50||5.4|
|2014 LPL Summer Regular Season||1||4||3||1||75||4.5|
|HOT6iX Champions Summer 2014 Playoffs||0||1||0||1||0||2.9|
Timing of Q animation cancelling is more consistent. If you don’t know what animation cancelling is, you should just skip this section.
While animation cancelling has been integrated into Riven’s coding for some time now, there are still a lot of timing inconsistencies that make learning her frustrating, especially for players on higher-latency connections. We’re cleaning these up so mastering Riven feels like a test of your reflexes, not your internet connection.
- CONSOLIDATION: Runic Blade’s buff duration, Broken Wings’s recast window, and Blade of the Exile’s buff duration are now tracked as timers overlaid above their ability icons, rather than via buff bar icons
- SEE IT: Riven’s Runic Blade stacks are now tracked below her health bar and are only visible to Riven
- CONSISTENCY: The timing around when Riven becomes able to animation cancel Q casts, as well as how long she has to animation cancel, have both been made more consistent
- NO FUN: Riven can no longer joke, taunt, or laugh during Broken Wings’s animations
- PING ME PLS: Broken Wings can more reliably target units on high-latency environments
- WHAT?: Fixed a bug where the knockback on Broken Wings’s third cast ended sooner than intended if it interrupted a different displacement effect or if the target collided with terrain
- SHOW IT: Fixed a bug where spell queueing sometimes didn’t properly work when casting Valor during Broken Wings’s animation
- Fixed a bug where Riven’s E - Valor could cancel crowd control applied by displacement abilities
- Riven is no longer prevented from dashing over walls with the third cast of Q - Broken Wings if she's under the effects of E - Valor
- Battle Bunny Riven’s sound effects for Q - Broken Wings and R - Wind Slash have been restored
- Championship Riven’s R - Wind Slash and third cast of Q - Broken Wings once again use custom blue on-hit particles, rather than the green on-hit particles of her base skin
R damage up.
Riven has been struggling against too many top laners for too long, so it’s time to bring out the buff bat. Given how snowbally Riven can get, we understand that’s a scary sentence. When Riven is at her best, she’s picking the right all-in, making a flashy play, and coming out on top. We’re sharpening the tools she needs to shine in those situations.R - Blade of the Exile
- WIND SLASH MINIMUM DAMAGE:
- WIND SLASH MAXIMUM DAMAGE:
- WIND SLASH MINIMUM DAMAGE:
Passive ratio increased.
Another patch, another Riven buff (I'll take words we never thought we'd type for 500, Meddler). Not much has changed since the last time we met - itemization isn't great for champions like Riven, and while her health regen increase showed promise, it didn't exactly move her as much as we'd like. Handing back some early-game strength should let her work where she shines most - without contributing to her endgame combo potential.
Health regen up.
You’re not dreaming - these are Riven buffs. Anyone playing attack-damage champions that don’t synergise with crit or attack speed is feeling a little sad these days. Just like last patch with Kha’Zix and Zed, this won’t improve heavily until we figure out some item-related solutions, but health regen should help her not lose her lane as often while we work it all out.
- BASE HEALTH REGEN:
Q works as intended.
- ACTUALLY BROKEN WINGS: Fixed a bug where the 3rd strike from Broken Wings wouldn't let you cross terrain if cast a certain way
R cooldown up.
Riven's a champion that's equal parts impressive and frustrating when she succeeds, turning the battle lines into a blur of knock-ups and danger pings, leaving her opponents without many options. For a champion whose 3 basic abilities are so powerful on their own, Blade of the Exile's cooldown's always been finely tuned in concert with her access to cooldown reduction. Now, however, with the growing popularity of things like cooldown runes and The Black Cleaver, it's never been easier for Riven to hit the 40% cap and start breaking the laws of physics. Increasing the cooldown of Riven's ultimate won't move the needle too much once she reaches that point, but stretches enough of her engagement window to make a difference in the skirmishes and scraps Riven's face along the way to make-or-break her snowball.R - Blade of the Exile
110/80/50 seconds⇒ 130/95/60 seconds
Patch Notes 5.9
Movement speed lowered. Wind Slash's speed reduced.
"Known for fast-paced combos and even faster executions, Riven's a flurry of strikes and shouts that every solo laner has to pay respect to. We're toning down this blade-wielding blitzkreig by shaving some of her mobility and reliable damage, meaning she'll have to rely on getting up-close and personal with her abilities if she wants to enjoy the same level of effectiveness."
- MOVEMENT SPEED:
- MOVEMENT SPEED:
Patch Notes 4.2
We lowered Riven’s base health regen and increased the power of Valor’s shield.
We’re reinforcing one of Riven’s core philosophies: she's a champion who should rely on mitigating or avoiding damage to be successful. Enemies who harass Riven should feel rewarded for hitting her when her defenses are down, while Riven players can feel better about using her buffed shield to prevent that damage in the first place.
- BASE HEALTH REGEN ::
5.5 per 5s⇒ 2.5 per 5s
- BASE HEALTH REGEN ::
Patch Notes 4.1
Summary: We lowered Riven’s base attack damage but increased her attack damage per level to compensate. Additionally, Broken Wings’ damage has been decreased and Valor’s shield duration was shortened.
Riven’s burst damage is just too high at early levels, so we’re dulling her blade. Broken Wings scaling off total AD from bonus AD means that Riven will do better when she’s behind (because she won’t be able to buy so much raw AD), but worse when she’s far ahead. We’re reducing the duration of Valor to hit some of Riven’s flexibility in lane – if she’s going to rely on Valor’s shield to trade damage, she’ll need to commit quickly or risk losing the shield.
- Base attack damage reduced to 54 (from 56.7)
- Attack damage per level increased to 3 (from 2.7)
- Q - Broken Wings
- Damage per strike decreased to 10/30/50/70/90 (+40/45/50/55/60% total attack damage) (from 30/55/80/105/130 (+70% bonus attack damage))
- We've improved Riven's running animation!
Patch Notes 3.10a
Summary: Riven can now leap over walls with the third hit of Broken Wings.
Context: Riven's Broken Wings started crossing walls on live following a few engine fixes. We looked at this and decided we want to fully support the emergent gameplay while cleaning up the ability’s environmental interactions. This change promotes Riven’s high mobility playstyle and skirmish play pattern, so we’ll balance around it rather than simply remove the change if it affects her power significantly.
- Fixed an issue where several of Riven's particle effects were missing
- Broken Wings
- Third hit now knocks up affected targets rather than knocking them back
- Only the third cast can now leap over walls
- Hitbox has been retuned to more closely match the particles
- Broken Wings
- Fixed a bug that made it possible to chain more than 3 strikes
- Wind Slash
- Fixed a bug where Riven could cast Wind Slash a second time after using Zhonya's Hourglass
- Runic Blade
- Adjusted damage to 15-45% of her total Attack Damage (based on champion level) from 5-15 (+0.5 bonus attack damage)
- Broken Wings
- Fixed a bug that was causing Broken Wings to improperly apply its splash damage if Valor was cast too recently
- Base health regen reduced to 6 from 10.4
- Health regen per level reduced to 0.5 from 0.9
- Shield amount increased to 70 / 100 / 130 / 160 / 190 from 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180
- Blade of the Exile
- Cooldown increased to 110 / 80 / 50 seconds from 75 / 60 / 45
- Targeting cone is now attached to
- Base Movement Speed increased by 25.
- If Broken Wings movement extends past Riven's current movement order location, that order will be cancelled (she will no longer automatically walk backwards to that point)
- Fixed a bug where Riven could get locked out of moving during her third cast of Broken Wings
- Blade of the Exile's allied ultimate HUD indicator will now remain green until the shockwave cast is used
- Base movement speed reduced to 320 from 325
- Base health regen reduced to 10.4 per 5 seconds from 12
- Health regen per level reduced to 0.9 per 5 seconds from 1
- Broken Wings base damage increased to 30 / 55 / 80 / 105 / 130 from 30 / 50 / 70 / 90 / 110
- Ki Burst base damage reduced to 50 / 80 / 110 / 140 / 170 from 50 / 90 / 130 / 170 / 210
- Blade of the Exile tooltip updated to display how much attack damage you will gain. It has also been clarified to state that Blade of the Exile scales off total attack damage, not bonus attack damage.
- Fixed a bug that caused Riven to stop moving after certain commands.
- Fixed a bug that caused Ki Shout and Broken Wings to temporarily leave dead unpathable minions behind.
- Fixed a bug that caused Riven's collision radius to be improperly calculated.
- Broken Wings
- Now counts as an attack command when you use it to lock-onto a target.
- Slightly extended duration of collision ignoring with minions after using this ability
Patch Notes 220.127.116.11
September 20th Hotfix
- Attack Speed per level increased to 3.5 from 2.9
- Base Armor increased to 15 from 12
- Broken Wings bonus attack damage ratio increased to 0.7 from 0.6
- Ki Shout cast time decreased to 0.25 from 0.5
- Shield increased to 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 from 40 / 70 / 100 / 130 / 160
- Cooldown decreased to 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 from 11 / 10 / 9 / 8 / 7
- Wind Slash
- Cast time decreased to 0.25 from 0.5
- Missile speed increased by 10% to 2,200 from 2,000
- May 10th - Best Skin Concepts: Pulsefire by Preston Dosza (thescoreesports.com)
- October 27th - Stick Figure Spotlight V: Will of the Blades | League of Legends Community Collab by League of Legends