Midseason is coming up soon and balance will be a bit wobbly for a patch, so consider this patch more of a setup. That being said, we’re focusing on changes that either need to happen now, or will have evergreen results going forwards.
First, we’re taking this chance to look at the way latency interacts with gameplay. Obviously, nobody likes playing on high latency, but some champions suffer far more from the impact. We’re putting in some Quality of Life changes to make those champions less punishing when your inputs aren’t quite as responsive.
Then, there’s the pro scene. With MSI coming up, there are a few strong outliers we’d like to make sure aren’t completely dominating pick/ban phase, so we’re making appropriate changes as needed.
On the other end of the spectrum, now is the perfect time to show love to some underpowered champions who need playstyle love. Aatrox is getting some extra power in the aftermath of his update, while Udyr is getting a tiny update of his own.
Finally, we’re taking this chance to retune some of the game systems in Twisted Treeline and ARAM to give some of our quicker game modes a cleaner experience.So get out there and toss some Poros,
Hellbent attack speed up and now refreshes on monsters. W missing health heal up.
Despite some love in patch 7.6, Aatrox is still struggling with consistency (especially in the jungle). His new passive is much more difficult to access in the jungle than the old one, so we’re tuning that. As well, we’re adding some power back into his self-healing to help him feel safer staying in fights.
- Hellbent now refreshes when fighting monsters MONSTROUS DETERMINATION:
- ATTACK SPEED:
W - Blood Thirst
5% of Aatrox’s missing health⇒ 6.5% of Aatrox’s missing health
Passive now true damage. Passive numbers down.
The function of Amumu’s passive (post-mitigation true damage) didn’t match expectations (true damage), so we’re switching to the latter and adjusting the numbers accordingly.
- BONUS TRUE DAMAGE:
15% of magic damage dealt, calculated after that damage was reduced by magic resist⇒ 10% of magic damage dealt, calculated before that damage was reduced by magic resist
- PERCENT HEALTH DAMAGE:
1/1.5/2/2.5/3% target’s maximum health per second⇒ 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2% target’s maximum health per second
A single brush no longer blocks vision of epic monsters.
Ivern’s brush is already brimming with utility (let’s not get too deep into the weeds listing every use case); controlling neutral objectives so easily doesn’t need to be one of them.
- TOO BIG TO HIDE: Dropping brush directly on top of an Epic Monster no longer hides it from enemy vision. (You can still deny enemy vision of an entire area by creating walls of brush, thereby denying vision of the monster.)
Q casting made more fluid.
Latency limits what you can do with a character, but for a low cooldown spellcaster like Karthus, it can feel like your internet plays more of a role than your opponent’s juking. We’re fixing that with some quality of life magic.
- LAYAWAY LAY WASTE: Lay Waste can now be buffered. Casts input as Lay Waste explodes will now automatically fire once Lay Waste comes off cooldown, unless Karthus cancels the command.
Q damage scaling up. Passive cooldown down at later levels.
We want Lissandra to be rewarded for her good positioning by getting to land multiple Ice Shards. Currently that often just leads to her running OOM, so we’re giving her more access to the mana from her passive as the game goes on.
18 seconds at all ranks⇒ 18/15/12/9 seconds at levels 1/6/11/16
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug that caused Iceborn's cooldown to not be reduced when Ring of Frost killed a unit
0.65 ability power⇒ 0.7 ability power
Armor down. Voidling health down.
Malzahar’s voidlings are too damaging to ignore, but - for many bot laners - too difficult to dispatch quickly. Counters to their health pattern exist (on-hit abilities, recurve bow, or area of effect damage), but we’re reducing voidling health to make those counters somewhat more consistently effective when they are opted into.
- VOIDLING HEALTH:
- VOIDLING GOLD REWARD:
Mana regen per level decreased. E mana cost increased.
Nautilus creates a ton of free pressure if he constantly pushes with Riptide, but still gets to have mana to do whatever else he wants, whether that’s assist ganks, escape them, or fight duels. Pushing constantly with his abilities - specifically before he’s invested in Sunfire Cape or mana items - should make a bigger dent in his mana pool so that opponents have more opportunities to punish him.
- MANA REGEN GROWTH STAT:
40/50/60/70/80 mana⇒ 50/60/70/80/90 mana
Q cooldown resets on W/E cast, not hit.
Much like Karthus, Ryze’s quick combos create a large gap between low and high ping players by decreasing accessibility to his combos. We’re making his resets a bit more fluid to bridge that gap.
- ANTICIPATION: Cooldown reset now occurs when Rune Prison or Spell Flux are cast, rather than when they hit their targets
Q does less damage to minions but more to champions. R shield scales with missing health.
Shen is one of those champions who always performs considerably better in organized play, thanks to the top-tier roaming power Stand United affords him. At the moment, his built-in waveclear gives him consistent map-pressure (which significantly decreases any costs he might face for leaving lane). We’re trimming both his waveclear and his roaming pressure but adding baseline damage and more crowd control consistency to compensate.
- EMPOWERED ATTACK BONUS DAMAGE:
30/50/70/90/110 against non-champions (at ranks 1-5)⇒ 15/20/25/30/35/40 against any enemy (at levels 1/4/7/10/13/16)
- Deals double damage to monsters (still has a cap though) MONSTROUS DETERMINATION:
180 energy⇒ 150 energy
- THICC: Width increased from
250/550/850⇒ 175/350/525, scaling up to 280/560/840 based on ally’s current health (shield maxes out at 40% health)
Q and W now have effects every 3 hits. Ability mana costs adjusted.
Udyr players currently feel pretty pinned into playing Phoenix Udyr or Tiger Udyr, while skipping out entirely on the other one until the end of the game. We’d like to ensure that using all of Udyr’s abilities is at least an option. That means making Tiger and Turtle more compelling stances to remain in, while also making low-level abilities less of a drain on his mana pool.
- ABILITY COSTS:
47/44/41/38/35 mana⇒ 50 - 33 mana (at levels 1-18)
- Basic attacks no longer deal an additional 15% of Udyr’s total attack damage as bonus damage while in Tiger Stance BONUS ATTACK DAMAGE:
- Udyr’s first and every third basic attack after that while in Tiger Stance are Tiger Strikes, applying the stance’s damage over time effect REPEATED MAULINGS:
- TIGER STRIKE DAMAGE:
30/80/130/180/230 over 2 seconds⇒30/60/90/120/150 over 2 seconds
- Successive Tiger Strikes against the same target will instantly deal all remaining damage of the previous instance in addition to applying a new one GO FOR THE THROAT:
- Udyr no longer gains lifesteal while in Turtle Stance LIFESTEAL:
- Udyr’s first and every third basic attack while in Turtle Stance heal him for 2.5% of his maximum health, increasing to up to 5% based on Udyr’s missing health SLOW AND STEADY:
Several changes to make ARAMs faster. More poros.
When playing ARAM people are usually looking for a shorter game, but sometimes what ends up happening is a tug-of-war of inhibitor pushes till someone really screws up. We want to reduce the scenarios where that happens reducing average time per game in the process.
- WATCHER’S FAVOR: Being near an enemy minion death without last-hitting it now grants 3 gold
- MELEE MINION GOLD:
- CASTER MINION GOLD:
- NO LONGER SUPPORTED: Ancient Coin, Relic Shield, Spellthief’s Edge, and their upgrades have been removed from Howling Abyss
- CULLED: Cull has also been removed from Howling Abyss
- INITIAL SPAWN TIME:
81 + 13*level⇒ 50 + 5*level, increasing by up to 200% based on missing health
- CHAMPION ASSISTS: Contributing to a fight within 10 seconds ⇒ 20 seconds of a kill grants assist gold and experience
- TURRET ASSISTS: Damaging a turret within 10 seconds ⇒ 30 seconds of its destruction grants assist gold and experience
- INITIAL SPAWN TIME:
- WAVE SPAWN TIMER:
30 seconds⇒ 20 seconds
- SIEGE MINION SPAWNS: Every three waves, starting with the third wave ⇒ Every other wave, starting with the first wave
- MINION GROWTH: Minions become stronger every 90 seconds ⇒ every 60 seconds
- BASE ARMOR:
- BASE ATTACK DAMAGE:
- Champions and minions gain 20% out-of-combat movement speed while near allied super minions INSPIRE:
- POOL PARTY RENEKTON: Recall’s tooltip now indicates that it plays your recall animation
- GUERILLA WARFARE: Poros no longer begin the game hidden in brush
- WANDERER: Poros now wander around the map on their own accord
- BLOOD SCENT: Poro smell detection radius reduced
- WILD GROWTH: Poro health reduced to 1000 from 100,000 (still unkillable)
- ICATHIAN SURPRISE: Fixed a bug where poros would die when they exploded
- MIMIC: Two additional poros have been added to the lane
- GET EXCITED: Fixed some animation bugs with happy poros
Death timers changed, minions and super minions are stronger, attack speed on Nexus turrets reduced, Vilemaw HP reduced. Health Relics now heal more health if you’re lower on it.
Twisted Treeline has two consistent metas: one with two laners and a jungler, the other with two laners and a support. We think this interplay makes the map pretty cool, but at the moment the support style is dominant thanks to the ease of funneling experience into one champion. That one champion is typically one who gains shields, resistances, or sustain that are meant to allow them survivability in the 5v5s of Summoner’s Rift, and instead afford them insane tankiness in the 3v3s of Twisted Treeline. That - combined with their high stats from levels - allows them to carry a game a little too hard. To combat this, we’re changing the way experience works to make that snowballing a bit less prevalent. Basically, if you’re ahead in levels, you get less experience. We also want to address the game mode’s potential to turn immediately off of one mid-game teamfight. We’re tuning death timers in the late game to be shorter, allowing a team with a huge lead some chance to recover from a single mistake. Finally, we’re making Vilemaw easier to take, scaling up minions, and lowering Nexus Turret’s overall damage so that when you do lean on a lead, you have better potential to close a game out. To top it all off, we’re having minions spawn earlier to get you out of the game slightly more quickly.
- APPROXIMATIONS: Slightly longer earlier, slightly shorter later
- Champion kills grant 10% less experience for each level higher you are than the enemy slain, capping at 50% SLOW DOWN:
- Synced with SR RUBBERBANDING:
- Minion damage to turrets now scales with game time, increasing every 60 seconds MINIONS HATE TURRETS:
- CASTER MINION DAMAGE SCALING:
+1 attack damage every 60 seconds⇒ +1.5 attack damage every 60 seconds
- SIEGE MINION GOLD:
- BASE ARMOR:
- BASE ATTACK DAMAGE:
- SUPER MINION GOLD:
- ATTACK SPEED:
- BASE HEALTH:
- INITIAL MINION SPAWN:
- INITIAL SIEGE MINION SPAWN:
12 minutes⇒ 10 minutes
- INITIAL MONSTER SPAWN:
- ALTAR UNLOCK TIME:
- INITIAL HEALTH RELIC SPAWN:
- SMITE CHARGE TIMER: Smite begins recharging at
81 + 13*level⇒ 50 + 5*level, increasing by up to 200% based on missing health
- BUGFIX: Health relics no longer heal for double the intended amount
- SURGE VFX: Now has a louder visual effect when it activates.
- NO LOITERING: Mini krugs now leash back to their nook, not to the place they fell when their parent died
- FIST-SHAKING: Rift Scuttler now submerges a bit more slowly, allowing hit VFX for things that killed her to play
Ward Death Audio
- WHAT’S IN THE BOX?: The description for Hextech Chests in the Loot menu now displays the possible contents inside
Rotating Game Modes
Legend of the Poro King returns from 4/21/17 12:00 PT - 4/25/17 04:00 PT and 4/28/17 12:00 PT - 5/2/17 04:00 PT. Pelt your enemies in a grand snowball fight on the Howling Abyss to summon the resplendent Poro King.
- Use Poro TossI to bowl your friendly poro across the map. If it hits a target, activate Poro Dash to dart toward your opponent.
- Once a team lands 10 Poro Tosses against enemy champions, the Poro King is summoned. Any ally can join His Royal Highness’s side by activating To The King!
- Until defeated, the Poro King heals you, boosts your mana regeneration, and helps siege enemy towers with his majestic poro-splosions.
- Thank the Poro King for his assistance (and boost his power) by feeding him Poro Snax.
- May you always bowl straight and true, and may you be fast-footed to avoid those fluffballs.
League Client Update
As we near the end of beta, we’re focused on fixing bugs and tuning performance.
A while back, we introduced our plan for replacing the legacy client. We’ve recently kicked off Phase 2 in Oceania and the results so far are encouraging. This patch, we’ll be extending it to more regions. Check out our latest beta update for details on the client rollout.You can find solutions to most common issues in the Known Issues section of our support site.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the PLAY button to appear grayed out.
- The client will now automatically focus on the password field after launching.
- Your profile background will once again display the correct champion.
- Fixed an issue that was preventing the settings panel from opening.
- Fixed an issue with audio hitching during login.
- Fixed an issue that delayed ready check pop up while editing your Runes / Masteries.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the chat window from opening after completing a game.
- Fixed a rare issue that caused chat to become invisible.
- Reduced padding and altered layout of text in chats to specifically improve Club chat readability.
- Added new message notification visibility to collapsed folders
Queue Health Update
- Lucian’s Q - Piercing Light now costs the correct amount of mana
- Fixed a bug where disconnecting during the cast of R - Hero’s Entrance could cause Galio to be unable to target units and structures
- Galio’s W - Shield of Durand magic shield now properly recharges after he revives
- Fixed a bug where Gragas’ E - Body Slam would sometimes pass through targets close to walls
- Nunu no longer gets a second Passive - Visionary passive after recalling.
- Fixed a bug where Jax could not use Blast Cone Plant after casting Q - Leap Strike
- Kha’Zix no longer shows the incorrect visuals when evolving his R - Void Assault
- PROJECT: Yi now displays the correct particles during W - Meditate, not his base skin particles
- High Noon Yasuo’s chromas no longer use the base skin particles for Passive - Way of the Wanderer
- Made Dragonslayer Vayne’s Green chroma easier to see on Summoner’s Rift
- Fixed a bug where Dragonslayer Xin Zhao and his chromas were using the classic skin’s SFX
- Gatekeeper Galio’s recall particles no longer stretch back to the Spawning Pool
- Fixed a bug where Cosmic Reaver Kassadin’s particles would flicker when zooming in and out
- Fixed a bug where Club names could disappear from the in-game scoreboard hovercard
- Fixed a bug where Order’s minions incorrectly spawned behind the nexus turret