|Athene's Unholy Grail|
|UNIQUE: Gain 35% of the premitigation damage dealt to champions as Blood Charges, up to 100 - 250 (based on level). Healing or shielding another ally consumes charges equal to 100% of the heal or shield, to heal them, up to the original effect amount.|
|UNIQUE - Dissonance: Gain (+5 AP) for every additional 25% base mana regeneration. Disables Harmony on your other items.|
|100% Base Mana Regen|
| + + 300 |
|Total Cost: 2100 |
|Sold For: 1470 |
- Healing amplification is applied to the total heal value from the passive.
- Athene's Unholy Grail grants a minimum total of 50 AP, as Dissonance grants 20 AP from the item's own mana regeneration.
- The item is named after Athene, a summoner who got 5,000 referrals and is a popular figure in video gaming, most notable for playing World of Warcraft prior to LoL.
- Athene is an alternative spelling of Athena, the Greek Goddess of battle strategy.
- Athene's Unholy Grail was codenamed "Chalice of Discord" before its final name was settled upon.
- This nickname is an ironic contrast to its lesser component item Chalice of Harmony, and is probably intended to highlight the more offensive properties of the item.
In the Darius Patch, we’ll also be rolling out a new upgrade option to the classic Magic Resistance item Chalice of Harmony. To help keep Chalice a viable item choice late into the game, we wanted to add a late game upgrade aimed specifically at Ability Power carries who might have trouble keeping their Mana high. With that in mind, we’ve added the option to add some damage stats later in the game by upgrading to Athene’s Unholy Grail.
The Chalice Conundrum
The added Magic Resistance from Chalice of Harmony combined with the heavy Mana Regeneration granted by its unique passive makes it an attractive option for an Ability Power in a disadvantageous position – particularly one that is heavily reliant on the Crest of the Ancient Golem. In the event that you find yourself behind your lane opponent with the enemy team invading your jungle, a timely Chalice can give you the added durability you need to rally. Meanwhile, the rapid Mana Regeneration can function as a sort of surrogate golem buff, allowing even the most heavily Mana reliant caster to continue fighting effectively.
Unfortunately, while Chalice of Harmony might be the right item choice to fuel an early game comeback, without any damage stats mage players often sell it as the game wears on or simply avoid buying it altogether. For this reason, we decided to offer the option to pick up a little a little extra bang for your buck by upgrading to Athene’s Unholy Grail.
My Cup Runneth Over
To give Chalice of Harmony the staying power it needs to carry on into late game, we decided to add the option combine it with Fiendish Codex to build Athene’s Unholy Grail. With some added Ability Power and Cooldown Reduction, Athene’s Unholy Grail can easily function as a core item for mages interested in picking up some additional durability.
Moreover, in addition to the passive Mana Regeneration afforded by Chalice of Harmony’s unique passive, Athene’s Unholy Grail also has the added benefit of granting a significant Mana bonus upon scoring a kill or assist. This can keep an aggressively ganking Ability Power carry topped off and in the field, as well as grant some additional staying power over the course of a protracted team fight.
I'll Drink to That!
With the addition of a few offensive stats and a new, offensively focused Mana Regeneration mechanic, the new upgrade to Chalice of Harmony should make it a more attractive option for casters early on in the game. Upgrading to Athene’s Unholy Grail, can help you convert that early game comeback into late game staying power.
More damage is converted to healing charges.
This change is in part an invisible Chalice of Harmony buff. With Forbidden Idol brought in line, Chalice stands a chance at making it into enchanter laning builds. Ensuring Athene's is a worthy upgrade (particularly in a world with less heal/shield power) makes that a more realistic possibility.
DAMAGE-TO-BLOOD RATIO : [25%] ⇒ 35% pre-mitigation damage
Now converts mana regen into ability power. Less cooldown reduction.
Athene’s is in a bit of a weird spot. Its 20% cooldown reduction and regeneration (health and mana) make it feel like a pretty good early item. However, it’s in competition with Locket and Redemption, both of which are unlikely to give up their first buy priority. Rather than overbuff Athene’s to make it more competitive early, we rejiggered it into a scaling item, like Rabadon’s Deathcap for enchanters.
ABILITY POWER :  ⇒ 30
MANA REGEN : [+75%] ⇒ +100% base mana regen
COOLDOWN REDUCTION : [20%] ⇒ 10%
BLOOD EARN RATE : [20%] ⇒ 25% of premitigation damage dealt to champions
DISSONANCE Grants 5 ability power for every +25% base mana regen
HARMONY No longer grants +25% base health regen for every +25% base mana regen
Magic resist up.
The Chalice of Harmony paths are supposed to give mage-like supports (and support-like mages) the health and mana they need to keep using their abilities. However, sustain doesn’t do much if you’re dead in two seconds. For all the magic damage showing up in bot lane right now (looking at you, Ziggs and Malzahar), Chalice is missing the mark as an option to keep supports alive while they spellcast. Slightly more magic resistance should put it on track.
MAGIC RESIST :  ⇒ 30
Athene's Unholy Grail
MAGIC RESIST :  ⇒ 30
MAGIC RESIST :  ⇒ 40
It’s just cheaper now.
TOTAL COST : [2250 gold] ⇒ 2100 gold
COMBINE COST : [450 gold] ⇒ 300 gold
OLD CHALICE UNIQUE Passive: Increases base health regen by 100% if current health% is lower than current mana %. Increases base mana regen by 100% if current mana % is lower than current health %.
CHALICE Increases to your % base mana regen stat now also increase your % base health regen stat by the same amount.
Heals allies based on damage recently dealt. No longer restores mana on kill or assist.
Athene’s Unholy Grail has taken on a new role as a team sustain item for aggressive supports (and off-supports) like Lulu, Morgana, and Karma. These enchantresses naturally alternate between directly engaging in combat and protecting their team; Athene’s rewards them for striking an optimal balance by granting them
TOTAL COST : [2700 gold] ⇒ 2250 gold
BUILD PATH : Chalice of Harmony + Fiendish Codex + 450 gold
ABILITY POWER :  ⇒ 40
MANA REGENERATION : [100%] ⇒ 75%
NO MORE RESETS No longer restores 20% of your maximum mana on kill or assist
ACHING BLOOD UNIQUE Passive - 20% of pre-mitigation damage you deal to champions is gained as Blood Charges, up to a cap of 100-250 (at levels 1-18). Healing or shielding an ally consumes your current Blood Charges to heal that ally.
HARMONY Grants 100% base health regen per 5 seconds if your current health percentage is lower than your current mana percentage. Grants 100% base mana regen per 5 seconds if your current mana percentage is lower than your current health percentage.
See above. Or we could paste the above. Which we will now do.
Collateral buffs from our Frost Queen's Claim investigations. Specifically, it seems like we were overvaluing what those unique passives were doing for the item. Having cheaper alternatives should help with build diversity.
COMBINE COST : [565 gold] ⇒ 465 gold
TOTAL COST : [2800 gold] ⇒ 2700 gold
TOTAL cost : [2700 gold] ⇒ 2800 gold
BUILD path : Chalice of Harmony + Fiendish Codex + Amplifying Tome + 565 gold
The same thing as Morellonomicon, except this item is a cup.
- "See above for our thought process, including the all-capital question."
- TOTAL COST : Unchanged
- RECIPE :
Fiendish Codex + Chalice of Harmony + 980 gold ⇒ Fiendish Codex + Chalice of Harmony + Amplifying Tome + 545 gold
More mana regeneration, EVERYWHERE.
- "The challenge with Athene's Unholy Grail is that it's an item basically designed for passive play. Defensive stats, tons of mana regeneration (and, in previous iterations, mana regen that ramped up the more mana you used), cooldown reduction - you get the deal. Because of this, we're a little reticent to just outright bring this bad boy back onto the scene. That said, there's also (currently) a world where Morellonomicon is the default mana regeneration item, which skews certain stats (healing, health regeneration) in different ways as well. We're trying hard not to make this a patch note about Morellonomicon (too late), but can at least afford to bring some parity between mana regeneration items."
- MANA REGEN :
50% ⇒ 100%
- MANA RESTORE ON KILL/ASSIST :
15% ⇒ 30%
This is going to get repetitive. More mana regeneration!
- "More mana regeneration!"
- PASSIVE MANA RESTORE :
1.5% of missing mana every 5 seconds ⇒ 2% of missing mana every 5 seconds
- TOTAL COST :
2600 gold ⇒ 2700 gold (combine cost decreased by 20 gold, inherits Chalice of Harmony's 120 gold cost increase)
- MANA REGENERATION :
+10 mana per 5 seconds ⇒ +50% base mana regeneration
- UNIQUE PASSIVE : Mana Font
Increases mana regeneration by 1% per 1% of missing mana ⇒ Restores 1.5% of missing mana every 5 seconds
- MAGIC RESIST:
40 ⇒ 25
- MANA REGENERATION:
15 mana per 5 seconds ⇒ 10 mana per 5 seconds
- PASSIVE MANA RESTORATION ON KILL / ASSIST:
12% ⇒ 15%
- Cooldown reduction increased to 20% from 15%
- Combine cost reduced to 900 from 920 (total cost reduced to 2,600 gold from 2,800)
- Ability power reduced from 90 to 60
- Unique Passive is now named "Mana Font"
- Cost changed from 2,950 (500) to 2,800 (920)
- Ability power increased to 90 from 80
- Magic resist increased to 40 from 36
- Athene's Unholy Grail added
|Game Mode Specific|