|Name||An Van Le|
|Country of Birth||United States|
|Birthday||June 22, 1994 (age 25)|
|Soloqueue IDs||C9 Squirtle, The KidRobot, C9 Balls, EunjiSuzy (KR), BlG HUEVOS, d2piayer|
|Social Media & Links|
An "BalIs" Van Le is a League of Legends esports player, previously top laner for FlyQuest.
An "BalIs" Van Le started playing League of Legends during the beta along with his friends and cousin, Dang Le, known ingame as Professor Rice. Prior to playing League of Legends, he had played Runescape, Maplestory, and other casual online games, but once Season 1 began, he started playing ranked games and quickly climbed the Elo ladder. He achieved an Elo of 2252 during that season playing mainly Ezreal and Corki. Eventually, Balls started playing weekly Go4LoL tournaments and got a taste of the competitive scene.
League of Legends Career
After a few unsuccessful tournaments, Balls was introduced to mandatorycloud, Atlanta, LemonGoD, and wallstop, and they formed the team APictureOfAGoose, where Balls switched between AD Carry and toplane. The team qualified for IEM Kiev but were unable to attend due to external commitments. The roster was later picked up by mTw.NA and soon transferred once again to Monomaniac Ferus. When AD player Aphromoo joined mTw.NA in August 2012, Balls switched to top lane.
In October 2012 Balls left mMe Ferus to focus on school, but in December of the same year he was picked up for the AD carry position of Meat Playground just before the NA LCS Season 3 qualifiers. When the team failed to qualify, they disbanded, leaving Balls a free agent. He was picked up by Quantic Gaming as their toplaner in April, and on May 2013, they qualified for the summer split. After qualifying, the current Quantic roster reformed as Cloud 9. Balls has played for Cloud 9 since, winning two splits of the NA LCS, taking second place in the 2014 Summer Split, and qualifying for and playing in two World Championships.
Balls is widely recognized as one of the best toplaners in North America and is known in particular for his Rumble play.
Due to their IEM San Jose victory, Cloud9 qualified for IEM Katowice in March. They lost their only two games, first to GE Tigers and then to yoe Flash Wolves, and finished in 7th/8th place. Domestically, they underperformed at the start of the season, and were in 8th place at the end of the second week of the spring LCS split. However, they improved over the course of the season, ending with a second-place finish behind Team SoloMid and a playoff bye; after beating Team Liquid 3-2, Cloud9 lost to TSM 1-3 in the finals and finished the split overall in second place.
Cloud9 replaced mid laner Hai with Incarnati0n at the start of the Summer Split due to Hai's retirement. They performed poorly for the first five weeks of the split and replaced Meteos with Hai going into the sixth week. With Hai back on the team, Cloud9's record improved from 3-7 to 6-12 by the end of the split, and they finished in 7th place after a tie-breaker victory against Team 8, narrowly avoiding relegations and retaining their Championship Points, though they did not qualify for playoffs. In the Regional Finals Gauntlet, Cloud9 reverse-swept both Gravity Gaming and Team Impulse before beating Team Liquid 3-1 in the finals. Their fourteen games played over the course of three days gave them North America's third seed to the 2015 Season World Championship, Cloud9's third-consecutive Worlds.
Considered an underdog at Worlds, Cloud9 were placed into Group B along with Fnatic, ahq, and Invictus Gaming and expected to place last. Balls's soloqueue performance in Korea was especially called into question, as he was demoted from Diamond I to Diamond II multiple times during the team's bootcamp in Korea. Instead, Cloud9 surprised with an undefeated 3-0 first week, with Balls suddenly picking up Darius. In the second week, Cloud9 needed only one win to advance to the quarterfinals but were unable to find it, losing four games in a row including a tiebreaker loss to ahq. They placed third in their group, ahead of only Invictus Gaming.
For the 2016 season, Cloud9 added two new players - Rush and Bunny FuFuu - and moved Hai to support, with the intention of splitting time with Bunny. However, after two losses with Bunny and two wins with Hai in the spring split, they committed to starting Hai fulltime and rose to a 67% winrate, with a third-place seed in the playoffs. However, despite a seeding advantage, the team lost to TSM in the first round and were eliminated.
- His favorite champion was at one point Ezreal.
- His cousin, known as Professor Rice on the NA server, was a diamond player in season 1.
- He is also related to Shiphtur and AnDa.
- Used to play tennis and was a cross-country runner. As such, he spends a lot of time exercising.
- Benches 155/160 lbs (8 reps) with a max of 200 lbs.
- Being the first ever toplaner to achieve a pentakill at World Championship all-time.
- Known for his Rumble.
- Click here for a full list of pentakills by all players.
This table shows up to the 10 most recent results. For complete results, click here.
- July 17, mTw Balls 2.5k+ elo AMA~ with , and on Reddit
- July 15, C9 HyperX Balls, MVP of week 5, AMA with , and on Reddit
- July 16, Interview with MVP Cloud 9 HyperX Balls with , and on Team Dignitas
- July 26, Hai and Balls talk about the Longest Win Streak at NA LCS (video) with , and on GameSpot
- February 1, Balls talks about today's match against EG (video) with , and on onGamers
- May 31, Balls talks about their losses last week and their performance after the first day of Week 2 LCS Summer Split (video) with , and on onGamers
- August 30, Balls on battling Curse at PAX (video) with , and on onGamers
- September 16, Cloud9 HyperX Balls | 20 Questions (video) with , and on HyperX
- December 10, IEM San Jose: Balls and LemonNation after C9 victory (video) with , and on SK Gaming
- February 14, NA LCS 2015: Balls "I didn't know at first...that Shiphtur was my cousin" (video) with , and on SK Gaming
- March 21, NA LCS 2015: Balls "We were allowed to talk for 5 minutes since it was such a long pause" (video) with , and on SK Gaming
- June 17, Recall with Thorin - Interview - C9 Balls (video) with , and on HTC
- October 4, Balls on Group B: 'We know the strength of each team now so it makes it a lot easier to go in to our next game' by , and on The Score
- March 29, Q&A: An “Balls” Le on Cloud 9’s origins, the Hai effect and League of Legends’ rise by Vince Nairn on Slingshot Esports
- January 31, Balls on FlyQuest’s practice setup, NA LCS goals and being a veteran with , and on Slingshot
- February 21, Balls talks the best part of being on FlyQuest, Hai's shot-calling, and what he misses about C9 with , and on Blitz Esports
- August 3, FlyQuest Features - Home Workouts ft. Balls by , and on FlyQuest Sports
- August 29, FlyQuest Features - Rumble in the Top Lane ft. Balls by , and on FlyQuest Sports
C9 Balls 2014 Season World Championship
The following pages redirect here.
- Goose not going to kiev due to complications in travel and priorities reddit.com
- Cloud9 and Unicorns of Love confirmed, get your tickets now! en.intelextrememasters.com