Current health damage increased for melee champions.
Blade of the Ruined King has been out of fighter inventories for a while now. We're buffing it to be a luxury option for shredding through juggernauts and tanks.
UNIQUE PaSSIVE : Basic attacks deal bonus physical damage on hit equal to [8% target's current health] ⇒ 8% target's current health for ranged users, 12% target's current health for melee users
ORNN : Change also applies to Might of the Ruined King
We're rolling back part of the cost reduction on BotRK from 8.11 by increasing the early cost of Cutlass. We first decreased the price in a cost-cutting sale across the board, following a noticeable increase in price of marksmen items. But the "discount price" since then has made the item too valuable for marksmen.
TOTAL COST :  ⇒ 3300 gold (combine cost unchanged due to Bilgewater Cutlass cost increase)
TOTAL COST : [3400 gold] ⇒ 3200 gold
Blade of the Ruined King is just overtuned at the moment. The item has a lot of cool identities - dueling item, mild tank buster, early power spike - and we want to make sure to preserve them. However, since it’s already letting buyers win trades via damage, allowing them to heal up so easily afterwards just adds insult to injury.
LIFESTEAL : [15%] ⇒ 12%
COST : [3300 gold] ⇒ 3400 gold
Attack damage and lifesteal up, attack speed down. Active deals flat damage and no longer heals.
When evaluating items, we want to ensure each has its own important role to play in the item system as a whole. Blade of the Ruined King has filled a number of roles over time: dueling spike, kite enabler, and tank buster, to name a few. In recent years, we've introduced new items dedicated to filling one or another of those needs, meaning many former Blade users now have better options. Blade no longer needs to cover so many bases, so we're focusing its strength onto one main behavior.
The primary purpose for Blade is now to be another compelling lifesteal option for champions who care about basic attacking a lot. This focus guided our decisions on how to shuffle power. First, basic attackers reliably grab dedicated attack speed items - Blade doesn’t need to pull nearly as much of that weight. Second, quite a bit of Blade’s strength used to be tied into its active, but its new target audience needs power that manifests in every attack. We took strength from these areas and pushed it into power Blade’s users are best able to optimize.
COMBINE COST : [900 gold (total cost: 3400 gold)] ⇒ 800 gold (total cost: 3300 gold)
ATTACK DAMAGE :  ⇒ 40
ATTACK SPEED : [40%] ⇒ 25%
LIFE STEAL : [10%] ⇒ 15%
ACTIVE DAMAGE : [10% of target’s max health as physical damage] ⇒ 100 magic damage
ACTIVE HEAL Damage dealt by the active is no longer converted to a heal
BUFF-FIX : Blade of the Ruined King’s passive on-hit damage now has a minimum of  ⇒ 15 (matching Recurve Bow’s on-hit damage)
On-hit damage increased.
Blade of the Ruined King has been out of the spotlight for a while, even for champions we expect should like it. Blade of the Ruined King should be the go-to item for basic-attacking champions who want dueling power out of their first item. To accomplish that, it should be doing a bit more at the start of fights.
ON HIT DAMAGE : [6% of the target’s current health] ⇒ 8% of the target’s current health
that's the spirit
TOTAL Cost : [3200 gold] ⇒ 3400 gold
BUILD Path : Bilgewater Cutlass + Recurve Bow + 750 gold
CURRENT HEALTH Damage : [8%] ⇒ 6%
- "We get a decent amount of 'bug reports' for Blade of the Ruined King, but they're mostly related to the fact that the active range of BotRK is slightly out of sync (that is, shorter) than basic ranged autoattack ranges. This item actually used to have a 550 range, but it was pretty terrifying on melee champions. That said, since we've reduced the active damage portion of this item, we think we can bring that range sync back."
- ACTIVE CAST RANGE :
450 ⇒ 550
You can now lifesteal the bonus health damage you're dealing!
- "Itemizing against tanky bros (and sisters) can be pretty difficult for an AD champion, so we're seeing if we can give a bit of love back to Blade of the Ruined King - the present day high-health AD tank demolishing item. Giving lifesteal to the on-hit passive means the more health your enemies stack, the more you'll be able to recover while kiting around. Now everyone gets a sustained combat pattern!"
- [NEW] RECIPE :
Bilgewater Cutlass + Dagger + Dagger + 900 gold ⇒ Bilgewater Cutlass + Recurve Bow + 700 gold
- TOTAL COST : 3200 gold (unchanged)
- [NEW] GIMME THAT HEALTH : On-hit passive now benefits from lifesteal
- PASSIVE MINIMUM DAMAGE :
3 ⇒ 10 (bet you didn't know there was a minimum damage before)
- ACTIVE ABILITY: Maximum health damage now
15% ⇒ 10%
- ACTIVE ABILITY: Active ability now steals
30% movement speed ⇒ 25% movement speed
- PASSIVE DAMAGE: Current health damage per hit now
5% ⇒ 8%
15% ⇒ 10%
02/04/2014 Leagues & Gameplay Update
- Fixed an exploit with Blade of the Ruined King's active
- Range reduced to 450 (from 550)
- Active cooldown increased to 90 (from 60)
- Now available on the Crystal Scar
- Active Haste/Slow duration reduced to 3 seconds from 4
3/5 Blade of the Ruined King Hotfix
- Attack Damage reduced to 25 from 30
- Combine cost increased to 1,000 gold from 650 (total cost increased to 3200 gold from 2850)
- Active heal amount is now reduced by the target's Armor
- Maximum damage dealt to minions and monsters reduced to 60 from 90
- These changes make Blade of the Ruined King a more universally useful item for Attack Damage champions and allow it to better fulfill its role in their arsenal as an item to combat high Health targets.
- Recipe Changed: Dagger + Dagger + Bilgewater Cutlass + 650 gold = 2,850 gold
- Attack Damage reduced to 30 from 45
- Now grants 40% Attack Speed
- Life Steal increased to 15% from 10%
- UNIQUE Passive adjusted to "Deals 5% of the target's current Health in bonus physical damage (max 90 damage vs. monsters and minions) on hit"
- UNIQUE Active changed to "Deals 15% of target champion's maximum Health as physical damage (min. 100), heals for the same amount, and steals 30% of the target's Movement Speed for 4 seconds (60 second cooldown)"
- UNIQUE Active range increased to 500 from 400
- Attack damage increased to 45 from 40
- Current health damage increased to 5% from 4%
- NEW ITEM Blade of the Ruined King
- Recipe - Bilgewater Cutlass
- Total gold cost - 2,825 (Upgrade cost - 1,000)
- +40 attack damage
- +10% life steal
- Unique Passive - Your attacks deal 4% of the target's current health in magic damage and heals you for half the amount (120 max vs. minions).
- Unique Active - Drains target champion, dealing 150% physical damage plus 50% of your attack damage and healing you by the same amount. Additionally, you steal 30% of their movement speed for 2 seconds (1 minute cooldown).