Caitlyn - The Sheriff of Piltover
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
|HP Regen:||5.67 (+0.55)|
|Mana Regen:||6.5 (+0.55)|
|Attack Damage:||53.66 (+2.18)|
|Attack Speed:||0.543 (+2.0%)|
|Magic Resist:||30 (+0.5)|
Caitlyn, The Sheriff of Piltover is a Ranged AD Carry who has high range and is able to snipe her opponents from long distances with her ultimate Ace in the Hole. Her long range allows her to poke her opponents while being relatively safe. She is primarily found in duo bottom lane due to her ability to punish enemy AD carries safely while being able to farm up for late game. She has the longest level 1 range of all champions in the game.
|Lore:||One of the reasons Piltover is known as the City of Progress is because it has an extraordinarily low crime rate. This hasn't always been the case; brigands and thieves of all sorts used to find the city-state an ideal mark for plunder, primarily due to the valuable resources it imports to fuel its techmaturgical research. Some even theorize that it would have fallen long ago to the chaos of organized crime if not for Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover.
Born the daughter of a wealthy statesman and a pioneering hextech researcher, Caitlyn discovered her natural gift for investigation when, at age 14, her father was assaulted and robbed on his way home. She snuck out of her house that night with her father's rifle and tracked down the muggers from the crime scene. At first, her parents did their best to discourage her from such risky hobbies, but she was incorrigible. Wishing to protect her daughter in the only way she knew how, Caitlyn's mother began outfitting her with techmaturgical devices tailored to her sleuthing needs.
Caitlyn quickly gained notoriety, as she was single-handedly defeating crime in Piltover and had developed into a ravishing beauty as well. She never backed down from a case or a challenge, and she was one of the sharpest shots in the city-state. Her services were soon requested by Demacia to help track down a mysterious outlaw who had begun committing high-profile heists.
The bandit, who always left a card with an ornate 'C' at the scene of the crime, became Caitlyn's arch-nemesis. To this day, Caitlyn still searches for this cat burglar, and the chase has led her all across Valoran. As she travels, she seeks to hone her skills and gain the influence necessary to track down the only quarry that has managed to evade her.
| "Go ahead, run. I'll give you a five minute head start."
- Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover - from her book 'Willing Apprehension'.
|In Premier Tournaments|
|Event||Bans||Picks||Wins||Losses||Win %||Picked/Banned in % of Games|
|IEM Season IX World Championship||0||4||1||3||25||21.1|
|IEM Season IX - Cologne||0||4||3||1||75||28.6|
|2014 World Championship||0||2||1||1||50||2.6|
|2014 Season China Regional Finals||0||1||1||0||100||6.7|
|2014 NA CS Summer Playoffs||0||1||1||0||100||5.6|
|2014 LNL Summer||0||2||0||2||0||3.6|
|2014 LPL Summer Regular Season||0||4||2||2||50||3.6|
Q deals less damage to targets beyond the first. W base damage decreased at early ranks; ratio reduced.
While recent changes to Caitlyn have focused on her late-game teamfighting* (headshots and traps), this patch is about how the Sheriff gets there. Cait’s historically had a rocky mid-game: her early strength wanes as lane phase ends, but she doesn’t hit carry status for another few thousand gold’s worth of items after that. That mid-game lull was largely erased when we smoothed out marksman item progression. We’re re-establishing it by tapping down her effectiveness prior to completing multiple end-game items.
- PASSTHROUGH DAMAGE:
67% to enemies beyond the first⇒ 50% to enemies beyond the first
- TRAP BONUS DAMAGE:
30/70/110/150/190 (+0.7 total attack damage)⇒ 10/55/100/145/190 (+0.6 total attack damage)
- TOOLTIP FIX: Yordle Snap Trap’s tooltip now displays the correct root duration of 1.5 seconds (actual duration unchanged)
- Headhunter Caitlyn’s W - Yordle Snap Traps are no longer less clear in brush compared to her other skins.
- VFX during Headhunter Caitlyn’s recall no longer disappear when losing and regaining vision.
Attack speed per level down.
Our goals today are the same as patch 7.11: we’re continuing to trim strengths aside from Caitlyn’s primary contributions (smart trap placement and juicy Headshots). Our previous changes to reduce the Sheriff’s sustained damage in the late game didn’t go far enough in this direction so we’re continuing along the path.
- ATTACK SPEED GROWTH:
- Pulsefire Caitlyn's quote when killing Gnar is no longer heard by everyone on the map
- Fixed a bug where Pulsefire Caitlyn could become covered in a blue overlay for the rest of the match if polymorphed by Lulu's W - Whimsy while in combat
Runaan’s Hurricane bolts no longer stack Headshot.
Because of its interaction with Headshot, Runaan’s Hurricane has been Caitlyn’s best option for area-of-effect and single-target damage. We’re removing this interaction so Caitlyn’s forced to choose which type of damage she wants to spec into. Similarly, we think Caitlyn’s at her finest when she’s sniping enemies with Headshot procs off of well-placed traps. Right now, she gets to have that as well as high sustained damage in teamfights via right-clicking. We’re hitting the Sheriff’s scaling with attack speed items to keep her focused on traps as the game progresses.
- BASE ATTACK SPEED:
- LV1 BONUS ATTACK SPEED:
- ATTACK SPEED AT LV10: .625 (unchanged)
- Runaan’s Hurricane bolts no longer stack Headshot HURRICANE HEADSHOT:
- Fixed a bug causing the projectile of an enemy Caitlyn’s Q - Piltover Peacemaker to not properly appear until it hit a unit when fired from fog of war
- Various VO lines triggered when Pulsefire Caitlyn scores a pentakill, ace, or killing spree now properly play
- The underside of Teemo’s stolen hat no longer looks kinda weird during Pulsefire Caitlyn’s Recall
With Aegis of the Legion's old aura out of the game, squishy champions who were relying on it to give them enough magic resist find themselves a bit on the burstable side.
- HOORAY: Champions who previously gained no magic resist per level now gain 0.5 per level
- AFFECTED CHAMPIONS: Ahri, Anivia, Annie, Ashe, Aurelion Sol, Azir, Bard, Brand, Caitlyn, Cassiopeia, Corki, Draven, Elise, Ezreal, Fiddlesticks, Gnar, Graves, Heimerdinger, Janna, Jayce, Jhin, Jinx, Kalista, Karma, Karthus, Kassadin, Kayle, Kennen, Kindred, Kog’Maw, LeBlanc, Lissandra, Lucian, Lulu, Lux, Malzahar, Miss Fortune, Morgana, Nami, Nidalee, Orianna, Quinn, Rakan, Ryze, Sivir, Sona, Soraka, Swain, Syndra, Taliyah, Teemo, Thresh, Tristana, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Urgot, Varus, Vayne, Veigar, Vel’Koz, Viktor, Vladimir, Xayah, Xerath, Yasuo, Ziggs, Zilean, Zyra
- Fixed a bug where Lunar Wraith Caitlyn’s Q - Piltover Peacemaker SFX were distorting when hitting multiple minions
- Untargetable champions can no longer proc Caitlyn’s W - Yordle Snap Trap
- Improved visibility of Lunar Wraith Caitlyn's W - Yordle Snap Trap
- Headhunter Caitlyn’s Passive - Headshot now has glow particles on her hands when ready (in addition to the ones on her gun)
- Lunar Revel Caitlyn’s basic attack is now less noisy and aligns more with her base
E cooldown lowered. W headshot bonus changed from a percentage to a flat bonus.
Despite seeing success in pro play, Caitlyn’s performance in normal games has been inconsistent since her update. One explanation for this is the lack of clarity around Caitlyn’s second level-up. Pumping points into Net for the lower cooldown is by far the most popular, but snap-traps second outperform it significantly. Considering snap-traps are key to Caitlyn’s strategic identity as the best-in-class siege markswoman, we’re shifting power to encourage Cait to realize those strengths without feeling unsafe for one-pointing 90 Caliber Net.
Less weirdness around using Headshot.
Caitlyn seems to have landed in a good spot post-update, but there's still some awkwardness to clean up around the usability of her new-and-improved Headshot.
- Passive - Headshot
- USE THE SCOPE: Fixed a bug where Caitlyn would walk toward her empowered Headshot target if they were less than 650 range of her
- QUICK RELOAD: Fixed a bug where Caitlyn's next basic attack would sometimes be delayed more than normal after an empowered Headshot
- TAKE THE SHOT: Fixed a bug where Caitlyn would sometimes take longer than intended before firing an empowered Headshot when swapping targets
- W - Yordle Snap Trap
- GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR: Now is slightly better at catching small champions (like yordles)
Patch Notes 5.18
W cost and cooldown reduced. "You have the right to remain salty. Ever the go-to for marksmen-in-training, Caitlyn’s strategic niche of pushing and sieging has had a lot of its thunder stolen from the likes of Jinx and Tristana. That said, when hyper-carries like Vayne and Kog run rampant, it’s up to the 650-range arm of the law to take ‘em down. Placing more power in her traps aids her ability to keep opposing marksmen pinned under tower without necessarily making her more effective at clicking on melee champions and making them cry."
Patch Notes 5.11
Headshot's better against tanky targets, and R gives vision on cast. "As mentioned in the foreword, it's been a while since Caitlyn was present in the patch notes. This doesn't inherently mean that every champion that hasn't been touched in forever is due, but when the meta has shifted to favoring Marksman that excel in dealing damage while kiting and the Sheriff was AWOL, we figured something was up. Not much behind some general improvements to what feel like bugs (especially in regards to R and Vision), but now Headshot's fancy bonus armor penetration (as in, only penetrates bonus armor like Yasuo's R) will help keep Caitlyn's shots relevant in a late-game of tanks and fighters as she loads them up with greater frequency."
- Passive - Headshot
- "NEW" PILTILE SNIPER: Now ignores 50% of the target's bonus armor (champion only)
- W - Yordle Snap Trap
- ARM TIME:
1.0 seconds - 1.25 seconds⇒ standardized to 1.1 seconds
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug where certain dashes could pass over the traps without triggering the root
- ARM TIME:
- R - Ace in the Hole
- TRAINED EYE: Now gives vision at start of cast instead of at start of channel
Patch Notes 5.8
Caitlyn's traps are more visible in brush. "While it's still a good idea to place your traps in brush, you should be ensnaring enemies by exploiting their habits, not their inability to see."
Patch Notes 4.15
"Part one of three."
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug where abilities that give true sight of enemy champions would reveal stealth wards under certain circumstances
Patch Notes 4.12
"And the Yasuos around the world rejoiced."
- Psychic Bullets: Fixed a bug where Caitlyn's basic attacks were registering as attacks before they visually hit the target
- We've improved Caitlyn's running animation!
Patch Notes 3.07
Caitlyn was crowding out a lot of other AD champions with her potent siege capabilities and strong lane trading potential. We wanted to highlight her weakness to extended trades as a sniper by reducing her base attack speed.
Additionally, by removing the accrual of headshot stacks when attacking turrets, it'll be a little more difficult for Caitlyn to perpetually siege towers in early game while zoning out enemies with the threat of a headshot.
- Base Attack Speed reduced to 0.625 from 0.668
- Attack Speed per level increased to 4% from 3%
- No longer gains stacks when attacking structures
- Headshot is no longer consumed when attacking wards
- Base Movement Speed increased by 25.
Patch Notes 126.96.36.199
September 18th - World Championship Hotfix
- Piltover Peacemaker
- Damage falloff per subsequent target reduced to 10% from 15%
- Minimum damage increased to 50% from 40%
- 90 Caliber Net can no longer be cast while rooted
- Cast time of 90 Caliber Net has been reduced
- Ace in the Hole
- Range increased to 2,000 / 2,500 / 3,000 from 1,900 / 2,050 / 2,200
- Channel time reduced to 1 seconds from 1.25 seconds
- Yordle Snap Trap now properly ignores unit collision when placed
- Fixed a bug where Caitlyn would appear to attack during Ace in the Hole
- Fixed a bug where Headshot did not trigger while Taunted or Silenced
- Base movement speed reduced to 300 from 305
- Piltover Peacemaker base damage reduced to 20 / 60 / 100 / 140 / 180 from 20 / 65 / 110 / 155 / 200
- Yordle Snap Trap activation radius reduced to 135 from 150
- Fixed a bug where planting a Yordle Snap Trap after a trap was recently triggered caused a previous trap to be consumed (as if you placed too many)
- Yordle Snap Trap
- Activation range increased to 150 form 125
- Mana cost reduced to 50 from 60
- 90 Caliber Net mana cost reduced to 75 from 90
- Ace in the Hole
- Mana cost reduced to 100 from 150
- Range increased at early levels to 1,900 / 2,050 / 2,200 from 1,600 / 1,900 / 2,200
- Attack speed per level increased to 3.0% from 2.6%
- Yordle Snap Trap max trap count increased to 3 from 2
- Headshot now requires 8 / 7 / 6 attacks to trigger at level 1 / 7 / 13 respectively from 8 attacks at all levels
- Ace in the Hole
- Projectile speed increased to 3,200 from 2,200
- Range increased to 1,600 / 1,900 / 2,200 from 1,400 / 1,800 / 2,200
- Initial cast time leading up to the channeling time has been significantly decreased
- Updated tooltips
- Piltover Peacemaker
- Base damage changed to 20 / 65 / 110 / 155 /200 from 40 / 70 / 100 / 130 / 160
- Attack damage ratio increased to 1.3 from 1.0
- Damage loss per unit increased to 10% from 6%
- Maximum damage loss increased to 50% from 30%
- Ace in the Hole
- Base damage increased to 250 / 475 / 700 from 250 / 400 / 550
- Now provides vision on the target for the duration and thus is not canceled when the target leaves line of sight
- Fixed a bug where it didn't scale from the Havoc mastery
- Damage is now treated as a spell instead of an attack
- No longer triggers hit effects like Blessing of the Lizard Elder
- Now triggers spell hit effects like Rylai's Crystal Scepter
- Cannot be dodged or blocked by Pantheon's Aegis Protection
- October 27th - Stick Figure Spotlight V: Will of the Blades | League of Legends Community Collab by League of Legends
- December 9th - Boom, Headshot - A Caitlyn Guide by Orestis "Esterien" Markopouliotis