Rek'Sai - The Void Burrower
This is the approved revision of this page, as well as being the most recent.
|HP Regen:||7.34 (+0.65)|
|Attack Damage:||57.5 (+3.35)|
|Attack Speed:||0.625 (+2%)|
|Magic Resist:||32.1 (+1.25)|
|Lore:||"The largest and fiercest of her species, |
Rek'Sai is a merciless predator that tunnels through the earth to ambush and devour her prey. Her insatiable hunger has laid waste to entire regions of the once-great Shuriman empire. Merchants, traders and armed caravans will go hundreds of miles out of their way to avoid these vast areas, though cunning bandits have been known to lure the unwary into her killing grounds. Once Rek'Sai detects you, your fate is sealed. There is no hope of escape; she is death from below the sand."
|“Fear not ambush from the hills, nor winged beasts from the skies. The true terror of Shurima comes from the sand, and gives no warning of her presence.”
- Sivir, the Battle Mistress
- Rek’Sai’s E - Tunnel no longer becomes permanent if they are destroyed as she exits them
Many abilities are meant to get champions within striking range of their foes. In these situations, we often add an attack command at the end of the ability so champions aren’t standing around awkwardly after closing in on an enemy. Based on how input queueing works in League, however, this attack command overwrites any attempt to queue a second ability during the original ability’s cast time. We’re modifying a bunch of abilities so the hidden attack command no longer overwrites spell queueing attempts, but will still work if a second ability isn’t cast. Let us know if you think we’ve left something off the list!
- THIS IS A BIT CONFUSING: Changed several interactions where abilities overwrote any spell queuing commands, instead forcing the caster to immediately begin basic-attacking once the ability completed.
- SO HERE’S AN EXAMPLE: If Pantheon tried to queue E - Heartseeker Strike during W - Aegis of Zeonia’s dash, he’d begin basic-attacking the target once Aegis of Zeonia completed instead of casting Heartseeker Strike.
- BUT WHAT ABOUT MY…: This change only affects the following abilities:
- Aatrox’s Q - Dark Descent
- Amumu’s Q - Bandage Toss
- Darius’s E - Apprehend
- Ekko’s E - Phase Dive and R - Chronobreak
- Elise’s Spider Q - Venomous Bite
- Evelynn’s E - Ravage
- Irelia’s Q - Bladesurge
- Kha’Zix’s Q - Taste Their Fear
- Kindred’s E - Mounting Dread
- Lee Sin’s Q - Resonating Strike
- Maokai’s W - Twisted Advance
- Pantheon’s W - Aegis of Zeonia
- Poppy’s E - Heroic Charge
- Rek’Sai’s R - Void Rush
- Talon’s Q - Noxian Diplomacy
- Rek’Sai now properly marks targets for R - Void Rush even when the damage is completely blocked by a shield
- Blast Cones no longer fizzle when triggered by a burrowed Rek’Sai at maximum attack range
Void Rush AD ratio increased. W unburrow speed standardized.
After a couple of patches, we’re pretty comfortable with where Rek’Sai sits right now. We think there’s still slightly more room for Void Rush to scale, and we’re also making Rek’Sai’s gameplay more fluid and consistent.
- SO FRESH SO QUEEN: Spells queued while attacking are handled better
- UNBURROW SPEED: Now takes the same time to unburrow whether you press W or attack a target (0.15 seconds)
- BUGFIX: Knockback effect for secondary targets no longer lasts slightly longer than intended
1.6 bonus attack damage⇒ 1.85 bonus attack damage
- HUD PING: Void Rush can now properly be HUD-pinged to display its cooldown or readiness, regardless of whether a marked target is in range
- GREEN CIRCLE: Void Rush’s cooldown availability now displays accurately for allies in the HUD
- SPECTATOR NOISE: Prey marks no longer show up for spectators
Base AD up. Armor per level up. W unburrow damage up. R more reliably hits targets.
Rek'Sai’s ability update has left her a bit on the weak side overall. We’re looking to push some base reliability back into her kit, so we’re upping the acquisition range on Void Rush and feeding her some base stats.
- BASE ATTACK DAMAGE:
- ARMOR GROWTH STAT:
0.4 bonus attack damage⇒ 0.8 bonus attack damage
- TARGET ACQUISITION: Void Rush is now much harder to dodge. Rek’Sai’s target should no longer be able to walk out of damage range without exceptional amounts of movement speed (or a dash/flash).
Rek’Sai’s ultimate now launches her at a target she’s recently damaged. Tunnels can be re-entered more quickly. Base damages down, scaling up.
Rek’Sai is a ferocious predator who strikes fear into the hearts of her prey as she hunts them. The way Rek’Sai is currently played —a vanguard who sets up plays for her team—just doesn’t sync up with that promised fantasy.
We see a lot of potential for Rek’Sai, and this update is an opportunity to double down on Rek’Sai’s predatory instincts. Rek’Sai should be feared for her individual threat, not the followup of her team. With these changes, we’re reimagining a Rek’Sai who has better backline access in teamfights and does more damage when she gets in there, but is less consistent when behind or built tanky.For more information, check our our post on Rek’Sai’s update.
- HEALTH GROWTH STAT:
Fury generation faster. Burrowed health regeneration ticks more quickly but max regeneration is down.
- FURY GENERATION:
5 for basic attacks, 10 for unburrowed abilities, 2.5 for additional units hit beyond the first by abilities⇒ 25 for all attacks and unburrowed abilities
- MAX BURROWED HEALTH REGENERATION:
25-450 (at levels 1-18) over 5 seconds⇒ 20-190 (at levels 1-18) over 3 seconds
Base damage down at later ranks. Ratio doubled.
15/25/35/45/55 (+20% BONUS ATTACK DAMAGE)⇒ 15/20/25/30/35 (+40% BONUS ATTACK DAMAGE)
Now has a bonus AD ratio. Does physical damage instead of magic.
- 40% bonus attack damage (in addition to the existing 70% ability power ratio) RATIO:
- DAMAGE TYPE:
Primary target is still knocked up, others are now knocked back.
- BASE DAMAGE:
0.5-1 second knockup on all nearby enemies based on proximity to Rek'Sai⇒ 1 second knockup on the primary target; 250 range knockback to other nearby enemies
- IMMUNITY: Only the knocked up target is granted immunity from further knock-ups
- IMMUNITY DURATION:
10/9.5/9/8.5/8 seconds⇒ 10 seconds at all ranks
- Rek’Sai can interact with Plants by attacking them while burrowed STOP AND SMELL THE ROSE ROOTS:
Now has base damage, and scales off bonus AD instead of total AD. Damage no longer scales linearly with Fury, but full-Fury casts still deal double damage as true damage.
80/90/100/110/120% total attack damage⇒ 50/60/70/80/90 (+ 85% BONUS ATTACK DAMAGE)
- Damage no longer scales linearly with Rek’Sai’s current Fury RAMP-UP:
- THRESHOLD: Damage still doubled and dealt as True Damage at max Fury
Tunnel creation and re-entry cooldowns both reduced at later ranks.
26/24/22/20/18 seconds⇒ 26/23/20/17/14 seconds
- RE-ENTRY COOLDOWN:
10/9/8/7/6 seconds⇒ 10/8/6/4/2 seconds
Rek’Sai marks champions she damages and can dash to a marked target, dealing damage based off their missing health.
- PREY: Rek’Sai passively marks enemy champions she damages as Prey for 5 seconds
- VOID RUSH: Rek’Sai targets a Prey-marked enemy, burrowing after a 0.35 second cast time before emerging from underground and leaping at her target after an additional 0.75 seconds.
- UNSTOPPABLE: Rek’Sai is unstoppable during both the cast and leap
- DAMAGE: 100/250/400 (+160% BONUS ATTACK DAMAGE) (+20/25/30% OF TARGET’S MISSING HEALTH)
- COOLDOWN: 100/80/60 seconds
- RANGE: 1500
Base armor and armor per level down.
When Rek’Sai was released, we positioned her as a member of the Fighter class: a durable, damage-focused melee champion that wants to hunt down prey and finish it off herself. In the months following release, however, our balance work on Rek’Sai de-emphasized her damage threat in favor of her team utility strengths. Her optimal playstyle settled into the Vanguard (offensive tank) space, and that identity mismatch has caused a lot of player frustration. So, when Rek’Sai’s competitive dominance put her on the balance radar, we resolved not to make the same mistake twice. Overall, fixing Rek’Sai’s role requires more than being cognizant of where to cut power, and we won’t promise that this’ll be the last time Rek’Sai visits the patch notes. That said, pushing her back toward kill-or-be-killed skirmishes is the first step in the process.
- BASE ARMOR:
- ARMOR GROWTH STAT:
- BASE ARMOR:
W’s cooldown on tracking individual targets up.
Often in the patch notes, we’ll refer to certain high-variance mechanics or champions - the success of which varies heavily depending on a player’s skill or group coordination. Vision’s one of these mechanics - while things like warding are important (really, do it), it’s more whereyou ward and how your team uses that information that can make or break a strategic stand-off. When it comes to variance in champion abilities, Rek’Sai’s Tremor Sense has some of the highest in the League. It’s one thing to know where your enemies are, but when Rek’Sai provides near-perfect information on enemy positions, things start to get pretty crazy (like increasing skillshot accuracy or almost completely deterring invades). We’re looking to dial back Rek’Sai’s team contributions, making the information she provides more about telling you ‘They’re somewhere over here!’ rather than ‘They’re exactly here!’ Tremor Sense is still one of the most powerful information-gathering tools in the game, but allowing enemies more ways to play against it keeps it feeling like a proper mind-game and not just an ankle monitor.
- TREMOR SENSE REFRESH PER TARGET:
0.75 seconds⇒ 1.5 seconds
- GOTTA TIPTOE: Tremor Sense won’t alert Rek’Sai if the enemy is minorly moving to modify their facing
- Rek'Sai no longer occasionally fails to go through a tunnel when trying to use a second tunnel as she exits a first one
- Fixed a bug that caused flickering for various particles, including Kindred's W - Wolf's Frenzy and Rek'Sai's W - Burrow tunnels
Patch Notes 5.17
Passive no longer provides bonus Fury.
"Ever the professional staple, Rek’Sai is a character who feels desynced in terms of strength. What she provides to a team (unparalleled scouting, vision control and global mobility) are far harder to feel than gnawing your face off, giving her the nod over other junglers time and time again. Another powerful-yet-invisible mechanic is her passive’s bonus fury, giving her an edge in combat for repeatedly going underground - something that already rewards her with a fair bit of speed and CC as-is. We’re interested in finding ways to shift power around to make Rek’Sai feel more visceral, but for the moment pulling this makes her less powerful when it comes to skirmishing again and again where she’s already way ahead of the pack." Passive - Fury of the Xer'Sai
- No longer grants 15 bonus Fury on Rek'Sai's first strike within 5 seconds of burrowing HATH NO FURY:
W's knockup radius lowered.
For a jungler that's meant to be an map-wide menace in the early phases of the game, Rek'Sai's found resilience transitioning into a knock-up machine once teamfights begin, often catching multiple enemies off guard. Interrupting crucial targets with a well-timed Un-burrow is the kind of high moment we want the queen to have in her games, but its generous range often catches people it appears it would otherwise miss. She'll still have all the elements of a dominant jungle-beast, but will need to demonstrate higher precision to get the same results.
Base health down.
Rek'Sai's one of those gals who's been very strong for some time, and it's something we couldn't help but notice when she stayed viable and competitive through two large shifts in the jungle item metagame (Warrior and Cinderhulk). That said, we don't just want to kick her out of the feasibility forest (the diversity dirigible flies over it), so we're going for a light change to reduce the reliability of her level 3 ganks.
- BASE HEALTH:
- BASE HEALTH:
Q damage down. Rek'Sai can use tunnels more often
High clear speeds, high damage, and the best tool for hunting enemies through the Fog of War - Rek'Sai has many, if not all the tools you'd want in a jungler (or a hungry void predator). As we've done in previous patches, we're taking the edge off of her bite in exchange for more end-game usability and tunnel-enabled mobility.
Patch Notes 5.2
Q's unburrowed damage is slightly lower, W's burrowed (technically unburrowing, given its use) damage has been reduced.
"The league's latest addition is still Rek'ing more than she should in the early-game. Lowering her bases should help keep her from tunneling too hard onto your carries, while increasing the number of knock-ups she gets in a fight allows her to aggressively re-engage against fleeing opponents or defensively peel when on the back foot (Claw? Tendril? Whatever the Xer'Sai have as appendages)."
Patch Notes 5.1
"Rek'Sai's a unique champion with a lot of mastery required to make full use of her piles of strategic mobility options - all of which is currently undermined (heh) by her raw strength as a duelist. While we want the queen to hold her own in a fight, holding her own in a fight against 4 people and getting out alive isn't quite what we had intended (sorry marksmen)."
- Q - Queen's Wrath
- BASE DAMAGE:
15/35/55/75/95 physical damage⇒ 15/30/45/60/75 physical damage
- PER ATTACK RATIO:
0.4 bonus attack damage at all ranks⇒ 0.3 bonus attack damage at all ranks
- BASE DAMAGE:
- Q - Prey Seeker
1.0 ability power at all ranks⇒ 0.7 ability power at all ranks
- W - Unburrow
0.5 bonus attack damage at all ranks⇒ 0.4 bonus attack damage at all ranks
- May 12th - League of Legends Rek’Sai rework detailed by Riot Games by Taylor Cocke