Upgrade and total cost decreased.
Rod of Ages takes too long to provide its benefits in a relatively fast paced meta. A price reduction makes it a slightly more realistic option for users that might consider it.
COST : [2700 (750 combine)] ⇒ 2600 (650 combine)
Cost increased. Health restore on mana spend decreased.
There are two issues here, so let’s tackle them separately. First off, Rod itself is a little too efficient. We want to preserve the item’s appeal to its core users (i.e. mages that need the health for close-quarters brawling with large mana-sinks), but Rod’s statline is such a strong incentive at present that even non-Rod users are making the switch - so we’re taking it down a peg.
As for the other changes, that’s more to do with Catalyst’s upgrades at large than Rod specifically. Simply put, the sustain that Catalyst’s mana to health conversion gives seems fair for the stage of the game in which you initially pick it up, but gets out of line as users amass even larger mana pools to bolster their health bars. Considering ‘amassing larger mana pools’ is what catalyst users actually want to do, we’re cutting the sustain instead.
COMBINE COST : [650 gold] ⇒ 750 gold
TOTAL COST : [2600 gold] ⇒ 2700 gold
PERCENT MANA TO HEALTH CONVERSION : [0.25] ⇒ 0.2
Less expensive. Ability power and mana reduced.
Rod of Ages has always offered the promise of a delayed but significant stat payout. These days, however, the identity of ‘big stat stick’ has lost meaning as items have evolved to serve more unique strategic purposes. The new Rod of Ages takes cues from Catalyst of Aeons: ride the efficiency of an early stat payoff (and a head start on your second item) to secure dominance over your enemies before they’ve built into more specialized item choices.
TOTAL COST : [3000 gold] ⇒ 2600 gold
BUILD PATH : Catalyst of Aeons + Blasting Wand + 450 gold
ABILITY POWER :  ⇒ 60
MANA :  ⇒ 300
MANA PER STACK :  ⇒ 10
ETERNITY : UNIQUE Passive - 15% of damage taken from champions is gained as mana. Spending mana restores 25% of mana spent as health, up to 25 per cast (toggle spells heal for up to 25 per second).
TOTAL cost : [2700 gold] ⇒ 3000 gold
BUILD path : Catalyst the Protector + Blasting Wand + 950 gold
ABILITY power :  ⇒ 80
Cost down. Less base health and mana, but gains more ability power and mana over time.
- "We want to tune up more of Rod of Ages' offensive AP / mana capabilities so it's an appealing buy for mages who want to tap into it without having to give up on so much offensive power."
- COST :
2800 gold ⇒ 2700 gold
- BASE HEALTH :
450 ⇒ 300
- BASE MANA :
450 ⇒ 400
- HEALTH GROWTH : Unchanged
- MANA GROWTH :
20 per minute (200 mana after 10 minutes) ⇒ 40 per minute (400 mana after 10 minutes)
- ABILITY POWER GROWTH :
2 per minute (20 ability power after 10 minutes) ⇒ 4 per minute (40 ability power after 10 minutes)
- "That second change is pretty good for all you tragic misclickers out there."
- [NEW] IT FINALLY HAPPENED : Rod of Ages will now show the number of stacks it has on the item icon
- FAT FINGERS : Rod of Ages will no longer lose stacks when you sell the item and then undo the sale
- Mana reduced from 525 to 450
- Now retains Catalyst the Protector's passive when upgraded (Catalyst passive is still unique and will now stack with Rod of Ages)
- Now shows you its stats in the tooltip
- Base stats increased to 450 health, 525 mana and 60 ability power from 360 health, 425 mana, and 50 ability power
- Health and mana reduced from 450 to 425
- Combine cost increased from 800 to 850
July 10, 2009 Patch
- Combine cost reduced from 865 to 800
May 15, 2009 Patch
- Recipe cost increased from 665 to 865