We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
Shyvana - The Half-Dragon
|Release:||November 1, 2011|
|HP Regen:||7.25 (+0.8)|
|Attack Damage:||55 (+3.4)|
|Attack Speed:||0.658 (+2.5%)|
|Magic Resist:||30 (+1.25)|
|Lore:||A half-breed born from the union between dragon and human, Shyvana searched all her life for belonging. Persecution forged her into a brutal warrior, and those who dare stand against Shyvana face the fiery beast lurking just beneath her skin.
Dragonkind considered Shyvana's impure blood an abomination, and she spent her youth pursued relentlessly by one cruel drake. Constantly on the run, she and her father, an outcast dragon, never knew a lasting home. A brutal reflection of countless battles, Shyvana grew hateful and savage. After years of strife, her father finally fell to the other dragon, but not before gravely wounding his foe. Furious with grief, Shyvana pursued her father's murderer as he fled north to recover. There she encountered a group of humans on the trail of the same drake. Though the men looked upon her in fear, their leader approached Shyvana peacefully. He introduced himself as Jarvan IV, the Prince of Demacia, and offered to aid Shyvana in her quest for vengeance. Together they hunted down and confronted the vicious dragon that had slain her father. Shyvana did not expect the men to survive, but in the clash of fire and steel, Jarvan and his men fought with strength she had never believed humans to possess. The ironclad warriors drove their foe into submission, and Shyvana struck the final blow, tearing the beast's heart from its body. Inspired by her ferocity, Jarvan offered her a place in the ranks of his elite guard. Shyvana could still see fear in the eyes of his men, but she longed for a true home. Trusting Jarvan's word, she accepted his offer and now serves as a Demacian warrior. Though her human allies admire her power, they keep their distance. Shyvana strives to repay the prince's kindness with the power of the dragon within, but she cannot help but wonder if the humans are right to fear her.
| "I have proven my might to dragonkind - what challenge shall humans pose?"
- Shyvana, the Half-Dragon
Shyvana's abilities don't have any cost related to them, so the use of her abilities is only limited by cooldowns. Instead she uses fury as her secondary bar.
Fury is only needed as a requirement for the use of her ultimate, which allows her to change form if she has 100 fury and remain in that state for as long as she has enough fury. Shyvana won't generate fury unless she has at least one point in Dragon's Descent, and once she puts the first point on the skill she will fill the bar immediately. Any gained fury will not be lost until her ultimate is used.
|In Premier Tournaments|
|Event||Bans||Picks||Wins||Losses||Win %||Picked/Banned in % of Games|
|2014 Season China Regional Finals||0||1||0||1||0||6.7|
|2014 International Wild Card Tournament||0||2||0||2||0||16.7|
|2014 NA CS Summer Playoffs||0||3||2||1||66.7||16.7|
|2014 LPL Summer Playoffs||0||4||2||2||50||18.2|
|2014 LNL Summer||0||14||9||5||64.3||25|
E now scales with total AD. Base armor increased.
For a farm-heavy jungler, Shyvana gets pushed around by monsters too easily in the early game, and doesn’t scale well enough with damage when she does get a leg up on the competition.
- BASE ARMOR:
- 0.3 total attack damage MISSILE RATIO:
- 0.1 total attack damage per tick SCORCHED EARTH RATIO:
- DRAGON FORM BASE IMPACT DAMAGE:
100-200 (at levels 1-18)⇒ 100-160 (at levels 1-18)
- Fixed a bug where Super Galaxy Shyvana's Cinders Mark would be fade out too early.
W no longer deals extra damage to monsters.
We’re happy to say Shyvana’s recent ability update has improved the gameplay issues we were targeting, though she’s been somewhat overbearing since then. To bring her back in line, we’re targeting less-interesting strengths that accumulated on her kit over time. In this case, that’s the jungling crutch we added to Burnout a few seasons back.
Passive can now be stacked on Howling Abyss and Twisted Treeline
Dragon’s Descent can’t be interrupted. E is now an exploding fireball in Dragon Form. Passive resistances down.
Shyvana’s one of League’s first opportunistic updates, where a smaller amount of work (compared to big updates) can still yield big improvements. Shyvana’s already a pretty cool champion - we wanted to make her better. We wrote a nifty article about Shyvana’s changes - this context is a simplified summary of it, so if you’ve still got questions, click that link!
Shyvana’s unique strength is that she periodically gets to ignore one of the juggernaut class’s core weaknesses: reliably getting to their targets. Ignoring weaknesses doesn’t help when you’re too behind to flex your strengths, which is why Shyvana has such a hard time clawing her way back from a disadvantage. Broadly speaking, we aimed to give Shyvana more flexibility and help her make better use of juggernaut items. In Dragon Form, Flame Breath’s been redesigned away from a basic damage cone toward something she has more options around using. Dragon Form now gives health instead of resistances, letting her leverage health-scaling items like Titanic Hydra and Sterak’s Gage.In exchange, we shaved off some mechanics she should still be able to function without. Burnout’s flame trail in Dragon Form asked Shyvana to stay in front of enemies she otherwise wanted in front of her, so we nixed it. We also had to shrink Dragonborn’s resistances based on playtest results, though rather than pure nerfs, we added in a way for her to gain back some resistances if she and her team play the objective game well.
- Passive - Fury of the Dragonborn
- BONUS ARMOR & MAGIC RESIST:
5/10/15/20 (at levels 1/6/11/16)⇒ 5 at all levels
- Shyvana deals 10% more damage to elemental drakes (including Elder Dragon) DRAGON-HATING DRAGON:
- Fury of the Dragonborn's bonuses no longer double during Dragon Form DRAGON SCALES:
- For each elemental drake Shyvana or her allies defeat, she gains an extra 5 armor and magic resist OTHER DRAGONS' SCALES:
- BONUS ARMOR & MAGIC RESIST:
- W - Burnout
- No longer leaves a flame trail behind Shyvana while in Dragon Form FLAME TRAIL:
325 (same as Human form)⇒ 350/365/380 at rank 1/2/3 of Dragon's Descent SIZE IN DRAGON FORM:
- E - Flame Breath
- LAW OF CONSERVATION OF ENERGY: Now stops on the first champion hit (in both Human and Dragon form)
0.6 ability power⇒ 0.3 ability power
- MISSILE SPEED:
- While in Dragon Form, Shyvana can target Flame Breath anywhere within its max range THE POWER OF CHOICE:
- While in Dragon Form, Flame Breath explodes when it hits a champion or reaches its target location, leaving behind a flame zone DRAGON FORM EXPLOSION:
- 100~200 (at levels 1-18) (+0.3 ability power) magic damage, stacking with Flame Breath's normal damage on all targets hit (not just the first!) DRAGON FORM EXPLOSION DAMAGE:
- FLAME ZONE DURATION: 4 seconds
- FLAME ZONE SIZE: 220/240/260 (at ranks 1/2/3 of Dragon's Descent)
- FLAME ZONE DAMAGE: 60~120 (at levels 1-18) (+0.2 ability power) magic damage per second
- DON'T STAND IN FIRE: Enemies that remain in the flame zone are persistently marked for Flame Breath's bonus on-hit damage
- R - Dragon's Descent
- Shyvana can no longer be knocked out of Dragon's Descent's dash UNSTOPPABLE:
- MAX RANGE:
- 150/250/350 BONUS HEALTH:
- DRAGON FORM ATTACK RANGE:
175⇒ 175/190/205 at ranks 1/2/3
- Dragon Form is 8/16% larger at ranks 2/3 BIGGER DRAGON:
Q animation visually sped up.
A while back, we adjusted Twin Bite’s animation for her base skin. While the actual timing of Shyvana’s damage didn’t change, her swings felt a bit slower. We’ve sped the animation up a bit to give back some of Twin Bite’s snappy feeling (though again, no impact on actual damage timing).
- AESTHETICS: Twin Bite’s animation has been visually sped up
R passively generates more fury.
Dragon’s Descent gives Shyvana the ability to make great initiation plays for her team, even from behind. This acts as a release valve, allowing us to keep Shyvana out of ‘feast or famine’ balance territory. We’re giving Dragon’s Descent better uptime in the early game to ensure Shyvana’s consistently contributing to her team.
- PASSIVE FURY GAIN PER SECOND:
- Championship Shyvana’s teeth in dragon form are no longer super elastic when she roars
W has an AP ratio.
Pretty much the same thing as Nocturne’s context. Re-read that but pretend we said ‘Shyvana’ instead.
- RATIO: Now additionally scales with 0.1 ability power per second
- RATIO ON-HIT: Now additionally scales with 0.025 ability power on-hit
Q's scaling reduced at early levels.
Shyvana’s too strong. So what are we going to do about it?
While the below changes might not look like much for anyone that’s been mauled by the half-dragon lately, Shyvana is a champion that we define as high-variance. That is to say ‘She’s okay to rampage through a neighboring lane (or village) because Shyvana can’t do that every game’. This isn’t just about risk vs reward or winrates - variance is the other side of the coin of reliability, describing a champion’s spread of being able to achieve certain outputs over time. To break that down, let’s use examples. Amumu can sometimes land 5-man ultimates - or he can whiff entirely - creating a high variance champion. By contrast, let’s look at Kayle’s Righteous Fury. No matter what you do, it’s always going to give you a buff to your range. Does what it says. There’s still some variance at play (was this the right time to use it?), but it’s pretty low-variance overall.
So what does this have to do with Shyvana? Well, ability usage (input) isn’t the only thing that can be high-variance. Champions that are more linear have variance in their output instead. For every game where Volibear was allowed to speed racer his way to the backline and flip tables, he’s also had games where he’s been kited to the moon and denied every opportunity. Shyvana’s variance comes from ‘was she starved on gold or did she literally eat your entire jungle?’
For those of you who have fought against Shyvana recently, the answer is almost always ‘she literally ate my entire jungle.’ (And your bottom laners. Sorry you had to find out this way.)The below changes (combined with Titanic Hydra’s changes further down) represent our viewpoint that to attack Shyvana’s power level, we have to affect that variance. Lowering her damage in the early stages, especially when dueling champions, should see a stunt in that growth from ‘always on’ to ‘sometimes on’ as her opponents seek to close the gaps in her flame horizon.
- Similar to last patch's bugfix for Malphite, the following abilities no longer trigger their effects at the start position when interacting with displacement spells like Trundle's E - Pillar of Ice. Apologies in advance for the super-dense formatting here:
- Ahri's R - Spirit Rush, Corki's W - Valkyrie, Fiora's Q - Lunge, Gragas's E - Body Slam, Hecarim's R - Onslaught of Shadows fear, Irelia's Q - Bladesurge, Jarvan IV's E - Demacian Standard/Q - Dragon Strike combo, Jax's Q - Leap Strike, Jayce's Hammer Form Q - To the Skies!, LeBlanc's W - Distortion, Maokai's W - Twisted Advance, Pantheon's W - Aegis of Zeonia, Poppy's E - Heroic Charge wall stun, Quinn's E - Vault, Renekton's E - Slice and Dice, Sejuani's Q - Arctic Assault, Shen's E - Shadow Dash, Shyvana's R - Dragon's Descent, Tryndamere's E - Spinning Slash, Zac's E - Elastic Slingshot
- DRAGON FORM ATTACK RANGE:
- Shyvana can no longer double-cast E - Flame Breath at the exact moment she reverts to human form
- Visual effects updated.
Patch Notes 5.11
W gives Shyvana stronger basic attacks for its duration. "Despite a brief spark in competitive play via Cinderhulk/Skirmisher's Sabre, Shyvana remains a champion that feels left behind. We're loading her up with more basic-attack beatdowns when Burnout is active to reinforce her melee moshing and make you feel better when diving in for the kill."
Patch Notes 5.5
E's damage proc up! "When looking to punch Shyvana's ticket aboard the Buff Barge, we decided a more general boost to her effectiveness would suffice. Often used for her mixed-damage and innate defensive stats, we like Shy most when she actually has to punch the stuffing out of you to win fights - so that's exactly what we're reinforcing here!"
Patch Notes 4.21
Twin Bite has a slightly lower cooldown and Burnout now deals bonus damage to monsters. "In light of her recent exit from popularity, Shyvana's a character that's been left without a clear identity. Is she a human? Is she a dragon? Is she viable? Leaning on her original jungling roots, we've decided to boost Shyv's clearing speeds so that she can be one of the faster farmers out there, opening her up to make cooler decisions than just shoving in top-laners and living forever."
Patch Notes 4.15
"While we realize this is a small power reduction, we had the choice of either buffing Shyvana's late ranks in damage or just reducing her level 1 damage by 20."
- E - Flame Breath
- SORRY SHYVANA: Fixed a bug where Flame Breath was dealing an extra 20 damage at Rank 1. Shyvana's damage now accurately reflects the tooltip (at 60 damage).
- VISUALS: Adjusted Flame Breath's dragon form particles to better match the damage cone. Actual area of effect remains unchanged.
Patch Notes 4.13
Shyvana can't double her W duration through dragon form, and her flame trail now applies damage less often (on par with W's damage tick rate) "While we didn't want to make significant changes to Shyvana, we did make two bugfixes which should tame some of her more obscure strength."
Patch Notes 4.1
Summary: We’re lowering Burnout’s overall damage and Flame Breath’s damage at earlier levels. Dragon’s Descent also received a bug fix and the damage now matches the tooltip. Shyvana’s doing a lot of damage in the early to mid-game, even when she builds tanky. It turns out that when Shyvana can push, wave clear and out-trade opponents all at once, things can get a little frustrating. We’re cooling some of that dragon blood down to make her early bullying more manageable.
- W - Burnout
- Damage per second reduced to 20/35/50/65/80 (from 25/40/55/70/85)
- Minimum magic damage reduced to 60/105/150/195/240 (from 75/120/165/210/255)
- Maximum magic damage reduced to 140/245/350/455/560 (from 175/280/385/490/595)
- E - Flame Breath
- Fixed a bug where Flame Breath was shredding armor in Dragon Form
Patch Notes 3.09
We're repositioning Flame Breath as a core tool for objective control and faster jungle clear, while also emphasizing its use as a “burn down” ability to be followed up with auto attacks against tankier fighters. We've also fixed a long-standing bug with Shyvana's Burnout where it wasn't scaling with attack damage while in Dragon form. This fix - along with her increased fury gains and reduced fury decay – will help her in late game teamfights. Lastly, we've moved the descriptions of her previous passive effects to their new ability tooltips to help centralize information.
- Fury of the Dragonborn - Remade. All Fury of the Dragonborn effects have been moved to their respective abilities.
- Dragonborn - Gains 5/10/15/20 Armor and Magic Resist. These bonuses are doubled in Dragon Form.
- Flame Breath
- No longer reduces Armor by 15%
- Now passes through all units hit instead of stopping at the first
- Debuff duration increased to 5 seconds from 4
- Damage reduced to 80/115/150/185/220 from 80/125/170/215/260
- On-hit magic damage to debuffed targets changed to 2% of the target's maximum Health from 15% of Flame Breath's damage (12/18.75/25.5/32.25/39 + 0.09 Ability Power).
- Fixed a bug where Burnout wasn't scaling with attack damage when Shyvana was in Dragon form
- Dragon's Descent
- Passive Armor/Magic Resistance component removed
- Passive Fury Gain increased to 1/2/3 per 1.5 seconds from 1/1/1
- Fury decay while in Dragon Form reduced to 5 per second from 6 per second
- Base Movement Speed increased by 25.
- Fixed a bug where Dragon's Descent would hitch on initial use when using skins
- Updated Fury of the Dragonborn tooltip to more accureately reflect actual values in game
- Fixed a bug that caused Burnout to last longer than intended
- Dragon's Descent passive armor and magic resist bonus reduced to 10 / 15 / 20 from 15 / 20 / 25
- (VIDEO) Shyvana Champion Spotlight