Swain - The Master Tactician
|Real Name:||Jericho Swain|
|HP Regen:||6.75 (+0.65)|
|Mana Regen:||6 (+0.8)|
|Attack Damage:||49 (+3)|
|Attack Speed:||0.625 (+2.11%)|
|Magic Resist:||30 (+0.5)|
Swain, the Master Tactician is a ranged AP Carry who specializes in doing large amounts of damage over time. His gameplay revolves around his ultimate, Ravenous Flock, which turns him into a raven and deals damage to surrounding enemies while healing him for a percentage of the damage dealt. Due to the short range on this ability, Swain is required to be close to his enemies, making him susceptible to being killed quickly unless he is healthy enough to sustain the damage. He is typically found as a solo mid carry, benefits greatly from the Ancient Golem buff, and persists as a strong threat to squishy targets throughout all stages of the game.
|Lore:||The earliest account of Swain's existence comes from a Noxian infirmary doctor's notes. According to them, Swain limped into the ward without cry or complaint; his right leg was snapped in half, with bone protruding from the skin. A small, scowling bird seemed affixed to his shoulder. The doctor gawked in horror as the young adolescent answered questions about his health and age with a calm, even stare. Even behind the echoing crack as the sand counterweights reset his tibia, Swain's measuring gaze never flickered, nor did his eyes twitch from the pop of his fibula. He refused the doctor's recommendation of magical treatment for the leg's inoperable damage, requesting only a spare crutch before shuffling away. He next surfaced in documents from the Noxian military, although it is evident that they are incomplete. Normally a crippled boy would be turned away in shame from Noxus' proud legion, but the records indicate his first designation was that of a ranking officer.
The men who've served under him (and survived) have remained in his charge with unshakable faith and loyalty. He leapt through the High Command's hierarchy, often ascending when superiors requested demotions to join his unit. A cunning strategist, Swain was decorated after every battle he fought, regularly hobbling in contemplation at the front of the assault. His rise to power seemed unceasing until he was suddenly removed from the order of battle prior to the Ionian Invasion - a bewildering decision which reeked of bureaucratic subversion. If Swain was upset by the events which unfolded, he never revealed it. His face was so implacable that it was popularly rumored to be a mask, disguising something utterly inhuman beneath. More controversy surrounded the bird that never left his shoulder, whose name he whispered only to it.
| "If you haven't yet lost the ability to ask, you may not yet ask for relief."
- Swain, the Master Tactician
|In Premier Tournaments|
|Event||Bans||Picks||Wins||Losses||Win %||Picked/Banned in % of Games|
|2014 World Championship||0||1||1||0||100||1.3|
|2014 EU LCS Summer Playoffs||0||3||2||1||66.7||11.5|
|2014 EU CS Summer Playoffs||2||1||1||0||100||15.8|
|2014 EU LCS Spring Round Robin||0||1||0||1||0||0.9|
|2014 GPL Summer Group Stage||0||1||0||1||0||1.6|
|Click [Show] for Additional Tournament Stats|
|Event||Bans||Picks||Wins||Losses||Win %||Picked/Banned in % of Games|
|Season 3 World Championship||0||1||0||1||0||1.6|
|Tencent LPL 2013 Summer||0||1||1||0||100||1.2|
|International Wildcard Tournament||0||1||0||1||0||5.9|
|2012 MLG Fall Championship||0||1||0||1||0||2.8|
|Season 2 World Championship||0||1||0||1||0||3.2|
|2012 MLG Summer Championship||2||1||0||1||0||5.2|
|2012 MLG Spring Championship||0||1||1||0||100||1.1|
|Champions Spring 2012||0||3||0||3||0||6.8|
|IEM Season VI - World Championship||0||3||1||2||33.3||6.8|
- Fixed a bug causing the first raven of Swain’s R - Ravenous Flock to visually spawn from the blue side fountain
With Aegis of the Legion's old aura out of the game, squishy champions who were relying on it to give them enough magic resist find themselves a bit on the burstable side.
- HOORAY: Champions who previously gained no magic resist per level now gain 0.5 per level
- AFFECTED CHAMPIONS: Ahri, Anivia, Annie, Ashe, Aurelion Sol, Azir, Bard, Brand, Caitlyn, Cassiopeia, Corki, Draven, Elise, Ezreal, Fiddlesticks, Gnar, Graves, Heimerdinger, Janna, Jayce, Jhin, Jinx, Kalista, Karma, Karthus, Kassadin, Kayle, Kennen, Kindred, Kog’Maw, LeBlanc, Lissandra, Lucian, Lulu, Lux, Malzahar, Miss Fortune, Morgana, Nami, Nidalee, Orianna, Quinn, Rakan, Ryze, Sivir, Sona, Soraka, Swain, Syndra, Taliyah, Teemo, Thresh, Tristana, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Urgot, Varus, Vayne, Veigar, Vel’Koz, Viktor, Vladimir, Xayah, Xerath, Yasuo, Ziggs, Zilean, Zyra
- Fixed some busted textures on Swain’s W - Nevermove claws
- Tyrant Swain’s W - Nevermove claws no longer wiggle when enemies try to move while rooted
R cooldown and recast lockout up.
One of Midseason’s primary beneficiaries, Swain carries himself more like a juggernaut than a mage these days. In a world where mana management was harsh on the Master Tactician, Ravenous Flock provided a brief but powerful window of functional invincibility. With mana pools larger than ever, Swain’s ultimate is less of a ‘high moment’ and more of an extended stat-check. Similar to Maokai last season, Swain’s low-cooldown high-uptime ult leaves virtually no window for opponents to engage without getting a face full of ravens. We’re opening Ravenous Flock’s window to lean harder on Swain’s ability to accurately predict the length of his battles to succeed. Ravenous Flock will still turn Swain into a tanky monster, but baiting him into prematurely ending the effect should have very real consequences.
10 seconds⇒ 20 seconds
- INITIAL LOCKOUT ON RECAST:
0.5 seconds⇒ 2 seconds
Q damage down. R healing down.
Swain’s incredible strength this patch is a matter of degrees. Okay, a lot of degrees. While we're happy with the improvements made to Ravenous Flock’s functionality in 6.10 (that is, MR not reducing Swain’s healing), it's opened up a build that allows him to leverage multiple pure-defense items while still dealing (sigh) tons of damage. Given our history with tank Ekko, we're taking steps to prevent tank Swain from becoming a thing. Compared to other mages, Swain is built to take a punch - but engaging him shouldn't feel like a lost cause. Reinforcing offense as his primary scalar should set Swain in the right direction.
30/50/70/90/110 per second⇒ 30/47.5/65/82.5/100 per second
- BASE HEAL AGAINST CHAMPIONS:
- WHOOPS: We incorrectly stated last patch that Ravenous Flock’s healing scales with 0.1 ability power. The actual value is 0.12!
Health per level up. R heals more.
Before we talk about Swain proper, consider this a public service announcement: Torment’s damage amplification is a flat 20% as of 6.9, which means you shouldn’t level it first. With that out of the way, let’s talk Swain. Simply put, Swain’s not being rewarded enough for his early-game successes, often being ignored or phased out as the game goes on. We’re looking to tackle this by reinforcing what he’s good at - taking hits on the front lines and being a sticky drain-tank, especially against teams with multiple tanks. At present, Swain’s healing is based on the damage dealt - meaning the more magic resist an opponent has, the less health. This means the burly tanks of the world that Swain’s meant to prey on in lane quickly turn predator, reducing both Swain’s damage and sustain through items. We’re flipping the script and letting Swain heal up on tanks with plenty to spare (as well as upping his own natural durability) to keep his fantasy of being contextually unkillable alive and well.
- HEALTH GROWTH STAT:
- HUNGRY FOR WORMS: Now executes minions below 10 health
- NOW THEY WORK: Fixed a bug where spell effects like Rylai’s Crystal Scepter and Liandry’s Torment weren’t applying properly
- HEALING VS CHAMPIONS:
75% of the damage dealt⇒ 30/45/60 (+0.1 ability power)
- HEALING VS MINIONS AND MONSTERS:
15% of the damage dealt⇒ 8/11/13 (+0.03 ability power)
- FLOCK TOGETHER: Now prioritizes targets closest to Swain instead of picking them at random (still prioritizes champions over non-champions)
Despite his title, Swain’s largely failed to live up to his promise of a master tactician. Instead, Swain mains have come to embrace him as an unkillable teamfight-tanking monstrosity. Sometimes a champion having split identities can lead to balancing awkwardness (like Kalista, the solo outplay carry with insane teammate synergies), but Swain is more odd than problematic. Sure, ‘Commander Bird Monster’ is weird, but so is Shen being a tanky ninja. We’re not here to judge. Rather than force one identity over the other, we’re looking at ways to enhance Swain overall. Regardless of why you play the Master Tactician, he’s a tanky mage with DoT’s and that’s not changing. Instead, Swain’s updates are about using his abilities in the right situations to overcome the odds. Careful optimization and placement of his bread-and-butter spells gives Swain the room to tactically outpace the opposition before morphing into an even-more-Ravenous-Flock for the teamfight checkmate.
- BASIC ATTACK MISSILE SPEED:
- BASIC ATTACK MISSILE SPEED:
- Passive - Carrion Renewal
- VISUALS: Classic, Northern Front and Bilgewater Swain have received new mana regen particles
- FLAT MANA REGEN ON KILL:
9-27 (at levels 1-18)⇒ 12-30 (at levels 1-18)
- Q - Decrepify
Swain orders Beatrice to fly towards the center of target area for a short duration. While deployed, Beatrice will target the closest enemy, dealing damage per second and slowing it. Beatrice switches targets if the current target leaves or is killed.
- COOLDOWN: 14/13/12/11/10 seconds
- COST: 60/65/70/75/80 mana
- CAST RANGE: 700
- BEATRICE RADIUS: 350
- DURATION: 4 seconds
- SLOW: 20/25/30/35/40%
- DAMAGE: 25/40/55/70/85 per second
- RATIO: 0.3 ability power per second
- MINION HATE: Deals 100% bonus damage to minions
- W - Nevermove
- E - Torment
0.8 ability power⇒ 1.0 ability power
- DAMAGE AMPLIFICATION:
8/11/14/17/20% of Swain’s damage⇒ 20% of Swain’s damage at all ranks
- TARGETING: If Swain afflicts someone with Torment, Decrepify will prioritize that target
- R - Ravenous Flock
Swain spawns lesser ravens every 0.2 seconds, dealing damage to targets around him. Lesser ravens heal Swain upon returning to him. Prioritizes champions.
8 seconds⇒ 10 seconds
25 mana + 5/6/7 additional mana per second⇒ 25 mana + 5 additional mana per second at all ranks
- HEALING AGAINST MINIONS:
- MAXIMUM NUMBER OF RAVENS:
- PECKING IMMUNITY: Lesser ravens can’t attack the same target for 1 second
W duration lowered at early ranks.
When Swain’s good, his dominance over the lane borders on abusive - and Swain’s pretty good right now, using Corrupting Potions and Deathfire Touches to terrorise the world. We’re making it so that Swain is priced into investing in Nevermove to get the same level of control on his prey.
- ROOT DURATION:
2 seconds⇒ 1/1.25/1.5/1.75/2 seconds
Patch Notes 5.22
Mana & Mana Regen Adjustments
- BASE MANA:
- MANA GROWTH STAT:
Patch Notes 5.2
Mass Texture Rebalance
- Base, Bilgewater, Northern Front, Tyrant
Patch Notes 3.13
Context: We saw Carrion Renewal as a place to add strength without significantly impacting the phases of the game where Swain already excels.
- Carrion Renewal
- Now additionally restores 9% of maximum Mana on champion kill/assist
- Base Movement Speed increased by 25.
- Basic attack ranged increased to 500 from 480
- Range increased to 625 from 600
- Slow increased at later ranks to 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40% from 20 / 23 / 26 / 29 / 32%
- Ravenous Flock cooldown reduced to 8 seconds form 10 seconds
- Fixed a bug with Bilgewater and Northern Front skins that caused the game to hitch the first time Decrepify was used
- Basic attack frame speed increased
- Ravenous Flock upkeep cost reduced to 5 / 6 / 7 mana from 5 / 7 / 9
- Fixed a bug where Swain had reduced mana regeneration while in Raven form
- Ravenous Flock now prioritizes champions
- Ravenous Flock now heals Swain for 75% of damage dealt versus champions, and 25% versus minions
- Ravenous Flock now heals Swain for 50% of the actual damage he deals (instead of 50% of the raw damage he deals), but the heal is not reduced if the damage is shielded
- Carrion Renewal now restores mana instantly
- Decrepify leash range slightly increased
- Torment range increased to 625 from 600
- Ravenous Flock cooldown decreased to 10 seconds from 15 seconds
- Updated Swain's recommended items
- Ability power ratio increased to 0.9 from 0.75
- Fixed a bug where it would slow through Highlander or Ragnarok
- Fixed a bug where the damage portion sometimes would not stop after leaving the area
- Nevermove ability power ratio increased to 0.7 from 0.5
- Damage increased to 75 / 115 / 155 / 195 / 235 from 72 / 110 / 148 / 186 / 224
- Ability power ratio increased to 0.8 from 0.6
- Carrion Renewal regen increased to 300% from 250%