We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Welcome to a new patch, team!
Worlds is coming up, so none of these changes are particularly aggressive, but we do want to make sure that some of the dominant outliers get tapped down a bit, and some popular picks who have fallen out of favor see some love. Because the stability of this patch is so important, we’re holding back on deeper changes that we’re still investigating, but we’ll be revisiting those champions and items in future patches.
We’re also looking at Ornn. We micropatched Ornn twice last patch, and he’s still struggling. We don’t want to overbuff him, so are primarily focusing on his usability, but we’re still monitoring player performance as prospective Ornn mains progress up the mastery curve.See you on the Rift,
R base damage increased
As a fragile damage dealer, Azir subjects himself to a ton of risk in the late game when attempting flashy ult plays against the enemy backline. His reward for landing those late-game shuffles should be worthy of that risk. On a forward-facing note, expect to hear a lot more about Azir in the near future. We’ll keep you posted!
- BASE DAMAGE:
E bonus against poisoned targets shifted from base damage into ratio.
Twin Fang’s high base damage is allowing Cassiopeia to dip into defensive itemization while still pumping out glass-cannon-level damage in the early-to-mid game. If Cass wants to melt face, she should have to (literally) pay for it.
- BONUS DAMAGE VS POISONED TARGETS:
- BONUS RATIO VS POISONED TARGETS:
0.4 ability power⇒ 0.5 ability power
W base damage decreased but scaling increased. E cooldown increased at later ranks.
Elise is the premiere magic damage jungler at the moment, especially in pro play. She’s perfect for snowballing the early game, but teams that fail to do so aren’t paying a cost later on. Reducing Elise’s access to Rappel in the late game reduces the baseline contributions she makes to her team (baiting enemy cooldowns) and leaves her vulnerable for longer stretches of time. As a result, she’ll have to capitalize more heavily on her early advantages to impact (and survive) teamfights. On the same note, taking some of the bite away from Volatile Spiderling’s base damage forces Elise to reach higher AP thresholds to deal the same damage late game, which is only feasible in matches where she’s built up a gold advantage.
- BASE DAMAGE:
0.8 ability power⇒ 0.95 ability power
26/23/20/17/14 seconds⇒ 26/24/22/20/18 seconds
Passive’s movement speed increased. Ultimate now grants passive’s movement speed within its area.
Back in patch 7.14 we made some changes to curb some of Fiora’s mobility, but those nerfs coincided with shifts in the meta to leave the Grand Duelist in a rough spot. In a world where Bramble Vest didn’t exist, forcing Fiora to work reach her enemies—and stick to them—made sense. In a world with Bramble Vest, however, Fiora’s dealing less damage (opponents have more armor) and sustaining less off Vital procs (Bramble Vest’s Grievous Wounds), so that handicap no longer makes sense. We’re reverting 7.14’s mobility nerfs and will keep an eye on Fiora.
- BONUS MOVEMENT SPEED:
- Fiora once again gains Duelist's Dance movement speed bonus while in Grand Challenge’s circle ? RE-ADDED:
Mini Gnar’s base health decreased.
Gnar's back at the top of top lane again. While we're glad he’s pushing tanks when they can’t get to him, we want to give opponents a better chance to go for the kill when they do capitalize on his positioning mistakes.
- BASE HEALTH:
Base armor decreased. E collision detection decreased.
Gragas is a very consistent, safe jungler who just does everything well. We want to remove some consistency, so we’re making his clear a bit less healthy and making Body Slam more fair for opponents to dodge.
- BASE ARMOR:
- COLLISION DETECTION RADIUS:
- HITBOX OFFSET RADIUS:
- Indicator changed to more accurately reflect hitbox LESS BODY SLAM:
E explosion base damage and ratio increased.
Triggerseed has seen several nerfs this season, but the last set of changes came alongside a weakening of the support items which also contributed to Ivern’s dominance. The double nerf left Ivern a bit undertuned, so we’re giving back the damage we took from Triggerseed in the last go-around (though part of it’s in the ratio now).
- BASE EXPLOSION DAMAGE:
- EXPLOSION RATIO:
0.7 ability power⇒ 0.8 ability power
W base shield and shield per enemy champion decreased.
At present, the Prince of Demacia is dunking enemy backlines andtanking everything the enemy team throws at him in the process. We're toning down his durability so diving the squishies is more of a daunting task.
- BASE SHIELD:
- BONUS SHIELD PER CHAMPION:
2/2.5/3/3.5/4% Jarvan’s maximum health⇒2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3% Jarvan’s maximum health
R cooldown increased.
Kalista’s kit lends itself well to coordinated teams, so it’s not surprising to see her at the top of the competitive scene’s pick/ban charts without similarly dominating regular matches. We’re tapping down the frequency of her Fate’s Call plays to reduce her presence in the pro scene, leaving her less team-dependent strengths intact for everyone else.
120/90/60 seconds⇒ 150/120/90 seconds
W shield increased at early ranks, decreased at rank 5.
With no hard crowd control in the early game, we want to make sure Lee Sin brings best-in-class 2v2 dueling power. We’re buffing up Safeguard’s early shield to make The Blind Monk’s perfectly-played ganks even more impactful.
- BASE SHIELD:
E cooldown increased at early ranks.
Lucian’s risen to prominence as the go-to midlane bully. We’re increasing the windows of vulnerability he incurs by burning Relentless Pursuit offensively: if Lucian wants to dash into danger, he’ll have to shoot his way back out of it.
18/17/16/15/14 seconds⇒ 22/20/18/16/14 seconds
Q mana cost no longer increases with rank-up. Q now refunds half of its mana cost when it hits terrain.
Dredge Line eats a lot of mana, meaning Nautilus either drains the tank pretty quickly when trying to make plays or gives up pressure to conserve his resources. We’re letting Naut cram more Q casts into his mana bar to encourage anchor tossing, potentially even opening the door to earlier Dredge Line maxes for Nautilii who want to prioritize engaging for their team.
60/70/80/90/100 mana⇒ 60 mana at all ranks
- Hitting terrain also refunds half of Dredge Line’s mana cost HOOK CITY:
E heal ratio increased.
Nidalee’s been out of the spotlight for a while, and even when teams would benefit from a magic damage jungler they’re often overlooking her entirely. Her clears are still some of the quickest in the game and she deals plenty of damage, but she lacks some of the utility other junglers bring. We’re strengthening her healing as she scales into the late game to even the playing field.
- MINIMUM RATIO:
0.275 ability power⇒ 0.325 ability power
- MAXIMUM RATIO:
0.55 ability power⇒ 0.65 ability power
New Forge Item: Zhonya’s Paradox. First Ram’s maximum speed increased.
Ornn’s been suffering pretty harshly since his release, moreso than other new champions. Among other changes, several of our mid-patch updates focused on getting his abilities to flow more easily. We’re continuing that work with 7.18. First, we’re preventing Ornn’s teammates from hamstringing themselves by rushing his Masterwork upgrades. Ornn’s Forge items are meant to be something special for the late game, not early-game power spikes. Second, we’re making Call of the Forge God easier to use by giving opponents less time to react to it.
- Ornn’s Masterwork upgrades are now locked until he reaches level 13 SLOW DOWN:
- ZHONYA’S PARADOX: Zhonya’s Hourglass can now be Forged into Zhonya’s Paradox.
- TOTAL: COST3900 gold (1000 gold upgrade cost)
- ABILITY POWER: 100 (+30 increase)
- ARMOR: 60 (+15 increase)
1050⇒ 1200 MAXIMUM RAM TRAVEL SPEED TOWARD ORNN:
Mid-Patch 7.17 Balance Updates
- Base Stats
- HEALTH GROWTH STAT:
- BASE HEALTH REGEN:
- HEALTH REGEN GROWTH:
- ATTACK SPEED GROWTH:
- HEALTH GROWTH STAT:
- PILLAR SPAWN TIME:
1.25⇒ 1.125 seconds
- WALLED-IN: Volcanic Rupture’s pillar now displaces champions who are standing on top of it when it spawns
- WALL-TO-WALL: Volcanic Rupture’s pillar now attempts to spawn outside of a wall if it is slightly in a wall, otherwise it destroys itself
- FLARE-ON: Bellows’ Breath now flares out slightly at the end
- W SELF-SLOW:
- No longer knocks back opponents he charges through EXCUSE ME:
150/115/80 seconds⇒ 130/100/70 seconds
W dash speed decreased late game. R radius decreased, and cooldown decreased late game.
Rakan has too much reliability in his engage pattern, especially once he gets boots and pops The Quickness or other movement speed buffs. We’re toning down how quickly Grand Entrance gets him into the thick of things to give opponents more time to react. Also, we’re dialing back how easily Rakan can hit multiple targets with The Quickness, to make him earn those fat engages.
- DASH SPEED:
1800 + 100% movement speed⇒ 2050 + 30% movement speed
- COLLISION DETECTION RADIUS:
120/110/100 seconds⇒ 120/100/80 seconds
Base armor increased.
When Rengar was at his peak, he was able to consistently one-shot squishies. Now that there are more viable tank-support items that allow supports to mitigate burst (Knight’s Vow, for example) there’s less risk of Rengar running away with a game without being fed. As a result, it’s safer to let him get to the mid-game more consistently, so we’re making his early clear less rough.
- BASE ARMOR:
W ratio increased.
Ryze has been in a pretty weak place for a while. We don’t want to make it any easier for him to reach his strong late game, but we think he could use a bit more damage in his combo once he’s started to really build ability power.
0.2 ability power⇒ 0.6 ability power
E bomb ratio reduced.
Tristana’s power is coming online a tad too early. Specifically, her high potential for successful trades during laning phase has allowed her to dominate from early on, push towers faster, and get the ball rolling more often that she ought to.
- BOMB RATIO:
0.5/0.65/0.8/0.95/1.1 bonus attack damage⇒ 0.5/0.6/0.7/0.8/0.9 bonus attack damage
- 4-STACK BOMB RATIO:
1.1/1.43/1.76/2.09/2.42 bonus attack damage⇒ 1.1/1.32/1.54/1.76/1.98 bonus attack damage
A bit of subtle reinforcement for when Rumble’s about to enter the Danger Zone.
- CLARITY: Rumble’s Heat bar now turns orange when at or above 80 Heat
Similar to the cost change in 7.16, this is a small nudge to continue bringing Cinderhulk’s power spike in line with options available to non-tank junglers.
Frostfang now has cooldown reduction, Frost Queen’s Claim build path adjusted to compensate. Tribute lockout for last-hitting a minion increased.
We haven’t seen much of the Spellthief’s line since we made Ancient Coin an actually-appealing item earlier in the season. This is less about Coin and more about Spellthief’s: the line just isn’t doing its job of enabling early aggression. We’re moving the cooldown reduction of Frostfang’s upgrades onto Frostfang itself, making it a more potent laning threat. This has the side effect of unlocking more build flexibility: sitting on Frostfang in the midgame will be less punishing for supports who’d rather start building into their late-game oriented items. That said, the Spellthief’s line has historically been vulnerable to midlane poaching when strong. We’re upping the Tribute penalty for last-hitting to nip that problem in the bud.
- LAST-HIT PENALTY: After last-hitting a minion, Tribute charge generation is paused for
6 seconds⇒ 8 seconds
- 10% COOLDOWN REDUCTION:
- BUILD PATH: Frostfang + Fiendish Codex + 450 gold ⇒ Frostfang + Blasting Wand + 500 gold (total cost unchanged)
Health granted by Stoneplate's active's is now partially base health, rather than entirely bonus health.
Making good on last patch’s promise, we’ve got a set of changes to mitigate Stoneplate’s oversynergies with a few specific effects. Most importantly, Stoneplate now knows the difference between base health and bonus health. The total health granted is the same as before (with two exceptions—see below), but Stoneplate will contribute far less to effects that scale with bonus health as a result of this change—Cho’Gath’s ult and Locket’s shield being the two most notorious offenders here. Also, last patch’s Cinderhulk bugfix is back now that Kled isn’t freaking out about it.
- RESPECT THE RATIO:
Grants bonus health equal to 40% (or 100%) of base and bonus health⇒ Grants base health equal to 40% (or 100%) base health and bonus health equal to 40% (or 100%) bonus health
- ADDITION, NOT MULTIPLICATION: Gargoyle Stoneplate's active no longer scales with Stoneborn Pact or Nunu's Q - Consume Well Fed buff
- BUGFIX: (Re-)fixed a bugged interaction between Cinderhulk and Gargoyle Stoneplate's active which caused the combination to grant more bonus health than intended
Cost decreased. Health decreased.
Support items are at a lower price point than other tank items, so we can make them very gold efficient without making them appealing to other classes. In Knight’s Vow’s case, the overall stats on the item were high enough to still entice more farmed tanks, so we’re toning that efficiency down. By bringing the price point and the stats down, we can make Knight’s Vow more clearly a low-budget item that’s focused on it’s unique effects.
- TOTAL COST:
2300 gold⇒ 2200 gold
- COMBINE COST:
700 gold⇒ 600 gold
We're making a few visual changes to champ select in an effort to reduce dodge rates. The pick timer is much larger and more pronounced and there's now a clear countdown next to your name when it's your time to lock in.
- COUNT ME IN: Made several elements of champ select clearer
Rotating Game Mode
Invasion continues through this patch as part of the Star Guardian: New Horizon event. Band together as the Star Guardians to protect the city from waves of monster attacks until 9/25/17 at 11:59 p.m. PT. Complete missions on a dynamic map to earn Starlight Tokens that you can transform into a New Horizon Ward and Hextech Mystery Champion (random Champion Permanent). Some missions also grant you icons with temporary Star Guardian-skinned mastery emotes that you can flash across games.
All Star Guardian skins are free to play within this five-player PvE game mode.
- Aatrox now correctly keeps his W - Blood Thirst/Blood Price Empowered attack through his Passive - Blood Well revive
- Fixed a bug where Sivir’s E - Spell Shield could block Summoner Spells if they were cast at the same time as any ability
- Fizz’s R - Chum the Waters no longer attaches to spell-shielded champions at max range
- Xerath’s W - Eye of Destruction slow now correctly decays from 25% to 13% once, not twice
- Ornn’s Twisted Treeline starting recommended items are no longer more than starting gold
- Fixed a big where Ornn’s E - Searing Charge didn’t destroy Anivia’s W - Crystallize, merely made it invisible
- Fixed a bug where Fiora’s R - Grand Challenge particles were showing up when the spell had been blocked by Nocturne’s W - Shroud of Darkness
- Karma, Lulu, and Brand now correctly have recommended item pages for both mid and support
- Vi’s recommended items on Howling Abyss no longer include Dead Man’s Plate twice
- Preferred item slot functionality now correctly works in the first game that the custom item set page is used
- Fixed a Mac client bug where resizing the game window caused healthbars to become incorrectly offset
- The 2016 All-Star Ward's health bar no longer overlaps the ward itself
- Parts of Star Guardian Ahri's model no longer disappear when affected by Kalista's The Black Spear
- Star Guardian Soraka no longer has lingering VFX when she cancels her recall animation
- Star Guardian Soraka's recall SFX are once again synced with the animation
- Shields now follow Star Guardian Syndra during her recall animation
- VFX have been restored during Atlantean Syndra's enhanced recall animation
- Heartseeker Quinn is once again swinging on her swing during her recall animation
- Dark Star Kha'Zix's evolved E - Leap VFX are now more visible on low and very low graphics settings
- The gems on Dark Star Orianna's ball no longer disappear when moving the camera away and back on lower graphics settings
- Blood Moon Talon's Passive - Blade End VFX are now more visible on elevated terrain.
- Game invites are now correctly prevented by blocking
- Champion voice lines now correctly play upon entering champion select or rerolling
- Fixed a bug where changing leaders in a custom game prevented the new leader from adding bots
- Mission progress now correctly appears upon log-in
- Fixed a tooltip in Loot that referenced key fragments old drop location
- Fixed the unlock message when moving from a locked rewards state for Dishonorable to an unlocked state
- In 7.17, we fixed an audio issue in Highlight Viewer on PCs with more than two audio channels