|Country of Birth:||Canada|
|Soloqueue IDs:||Liquid zig, hie|
|Social Media and Links|
| Team History|
Derek "zig" Shao was born and raised in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, moved to Waterloo which is also in Ontario, Canada and then to Chicago, Illinois so he can attend school in the U.S. He now lives in Santa Monica, California so he can pursue his professional League of Legends career there. zig started playing League of Legends in the summer of 2010 and started publicly playing professionally in 2012 (season 2).
In January 2012, zig joined Just Your Average Joes but did not play with the team for long and left them in March 2012. In the same month, zig officially entered the competitive League of Legends scene by substituting for Monomaniac eSports with ZionSpartan in IPL 4 due to original members NOthing12eal and WildTurtle not being able to attend. With the new lineup, Monomaniac placed 4th, defeating against All authority 2-0 and Curse Gaming 2-1 in best of threes.
After their successes at IPL 4, the Monomaniac roster of NintendudeX, zig, ParadoXical, Pixel, and ZionSpartan left to join Team Dynamic. zig played as the AD Carry for Team Dynamic and had a long successful run in season 2 with the team in many tournaments which made them a well-known professional North American League of Legends team at the time. However, after a poor showing at the LoL Season 2 North American Regionals and conflicts occurring in zig's personal life, tension started to build between him and his teammates. This, along with zig's inactivity because of school, led him to depart the team in October 2012.
In January 2013, zig joined Pulse Esports, the roster of which was later picked up by Team Dignitas as their challenger circuit team in February of 2013. However, the team had a very short run together and they disbanded on April 6th, 2013.
In November 2013, zig joined Nexus Gaming, another unknown team that he had a short run with. He left the team in December 2013.
In May 2014, zig joined Team Curse as a substitute and spent a really long time with the team.
In August 2014, during zig's time as a sub for Team Curse, he played for Team LoLPro as their AD Carry under the name Zignature in the 2014 NA Challenger Series Summer Playoffs. The team beat Denial eSports in the quarterfinals but then lost to Curse Academy in the semifinals and placed fourth overall after losing 3-1 to Team Coast in the third-place match. As a result, they did not qualify for the 2015 NA LCS Spring Promotion Tournament.
In November 2014, it was rumored that Zignature would be joining LMQ; however, instead he joined Team Liquid (formerly known as Team Curse) as a sub and then Liquid Academy as their starting top laner in January 2015. He also re-shortened his name to zig.
TLA played in the 2016 NA CS Spring Qualifier where they 3-0'd Team Frostbite to qualify for the 2016 NACS Spring Season. Following an announcement that all members of the Academy team would also be active substitutes of the main Team Liquid roster, the organization swapped Dardoch and Matt off the Academy team for the NACS season. They finished in fourth place, narrowly making the playoffs after winning an automatic tiebreaker against Dream Team but then lost to Apex Gaming 3-1. After the split ended, Team Liquid Academy rebuilt their roster and zig left, joining Phoenix1, the organization that purchased Team Impulse's NA LCS Summer Season seed, in May.
Faced with visa problems for intended starting jungler Inori, the team was forced to add a substitute jungler Zentinel to their roster, who competed for them for the first three weeks. In that time, Phoenix1 lost all of their series and won only two games total, cementing themselves in last place, behind Echo Fox. Their winless streak continued after Inori's return and through their first series of the fifth week, at which point they had a 3-18 game record and 0-9 series record. In the second series of that week, however, they picked up their first series win against Apex Gaming, with a comeback 2-1 victory after dropping the first game. After this first win, their record improved significantly, and in the second half of the season they went a combined 5-4 - not enough to keep them out of relegations, but enough to surpass both Echo Fox and NRG in the standings for a top seed in the promotion tournament, where they requalified for the LCS with an easy 3-0 win over Echo Fox. Though zig shared the starting top lane spot with Brandini, he started in all but 7 of the regular season's games, and in all of the promotion games.
P1 finished 3rd in the regular season of Spring with an 11-7 record. In the playoffs P1 was knocked out in the Semifinals but managed to win the third place match 3-2 against FlyQuest. Their Summer Season was much worse as they finished 10th place with a 4-14 record. Although they retained their LCS spot in the Promotion Tournament with a 3-0 victory over eUnited, P1 was not accepted in the newly franchised NA LCS for 2018. Zig left the team in November of 2017 and joined the newly formed OpTic Gaming in December.
|2016-08-07||2017 NA LCS Spring Promotion||Phoenix1 3 : 0 Echo Fox|
|2016-03-10||2016 NACS Spring Playoffs||Team Liquid Academy 1 : 3 Apex Gaming|
|2016-01-13||2016 NA Challenger Series Spring Qualifier||Team Liquid Academy 3 : 0 Team Frostbite|
|2015-12-06||HTC Ascension||Team Liquid Academy 3 : 1 Team Frostbite|
|2015-06-22||League One NA Cup Week 10||Team Liquid Academy 3 : 0 Cloud9 Tempest|
|2013-03-16||2013 MLG Winter Champ. Summer Promo. Qual.||Team Dignitas 0 : 2 Cloud9|
|2012-08-26||2012 MLG Summer Championship||Team Dynamic 2 : 1 Orbit Gaming|
|2012-08-07||IPL Elites NA||Team Dynamic 1 : 3 Team Dignitas|
|2012-07-22||Leaguecraft ggClassic Presented by Arqade||Team Dynamic 2 : 1 CLG Black|
|2012-07-01||Leaguepedia NA Invitational||Team Dynamic 0 : 2 Orbit Gaming|
|2012-06-24||Solomid NA Invitational 2||Team Dynamic 2 : 1 Team Curse|
|2012-05-28||Solomid NA Tournament Circuit||Team Dynamic 2 : 4 Team SoloMid|
|2012-05-26||IPL 5 Qualifier #1||Team Dynamic 2 : 0 mTw North America|
|2012-05-01||CSN playLEGENDS Finals||Team Dynamic 2 : 0 Orbit Gaming|
|2012-04-08||IGN Proleague Season 4 - Las Vegas||Monomaniac eSports 0 : 2 Counter Logic Gaming|
|2012-03||Go4LoL US March Monthly Finals||Monomaniac eSports 1 : 0 Ordinance Gaming|
|2012-03-29||IGN Proleague Season 4 Qualifiers||Monomaniac eSports 0 : 2 Team Curse|
|2012-03-17||Fatal1ty Gaming Gear LoL Tournament||Just Your Average Joes 1 - 2 Team SoloMid|
- January 26th, P1 Zig on scrims: “The C9, TSM, TL, they are mostly inward…they’ll only try to scrim each other, plus maybe one or two outsiders.” with Slingshot Esports
- February 23rd, Zig chats about Phoenix1's player perks and lessons learned from being on Team Liquid (TLA) with Blitz Esports
- March 10th, Phoenix1 Zig on starting Inori or Meteos: ‘We’ll be talking about the strengths and weaknesses of each jungler’ with Yahoo! Esports
- March 15th, P1 Zig: “I definitely wish there were more opportunities for us to prove ourselves internationally, and that they were better set up and more rewarding for teams compared to how IEM is set up.” with Slingshot Esports
- March 22nd, Zig Is Rising With Pheonix1 with Xander Torres on Red Bull Esports
- April 12, Zig on beating Dignitas: 'It felt a lot easier than our practice was, which is how games should be' with Yahoo! Esports
- June 1st, Zig on Shady joining P1, the upcoming summer split, and the League of Legends College Championship with Yahoo Esports
- June 16th, P1 Zig: “If we keep losing, it’ll be really hard to turn it around without roster changes, and we already put in Meteos instead of Inori.” with Andrew Kim for Slingshot Esports
- July 6th, Zig talks about MikeYeung, P1’s Rift Rivals performance and winning worlds with Kelsey Moser for Slingshot Esports
- July 26th, P1 Zig: “The team environment could have been really bad if we let it, but (Pirean) is really positive and counteracts that.” with Emily Rand for Slingshot Esports
- July 4th, Zig on P1’s shaky start, playing as the underdog and finishing out the season strong with theScore Esports
- July 13th, Gate and Zig talk the benefits of adding Fixer; Gate says he’s ‘happy to split some time with him’ with theScore Esports
- July 21st, P1 zig: 'All of us are just aiming for playoffs' with Yahoo! Esports
- August 25th, Pluto Interviews TD Zig at MLG Raleigh (video) with Reign of Gaming
- August 28th, Placed 3rd at MLG Raleigh - played Corki in 15/15 games. TD zig, AD Carry for Team Dynamic AMA with Reddit